Dewormer

Guest Duke

Guest Energy11

Has anyone heard of or used this product safe and effectively?

Safe-Guard 10% suspension horse/cattle dewormer

No, I have never heard of it, and to be honest, I wouldn't use it. There was a GH puppy who died yesterday, due to a reaction from a de-wormer. I'd go through the vet for this, especially in light of this development yesterday, and with sighthounds.

It's used in a lot of racing kennels and farms

Do a search here and you will find more info on it and the dosage

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest multigrey

SafeGuard 10% solution is Fenbendazole....exactly what Panacur is. We have used it for years here at the farm on all the Greyhounds.

If you are not sure of the dose or are not comfortable using it on your dogs, please buy your wormer from your vet and follow his instructions.

Guest TeddysMom

Unfortunately some dogs can have a reaction to anything we put in their systems. I have had a couple of rescue dogs that had violent reactions to Strongid which is considered one of the safest wormers there is. There is just no way to be 100% sure when you use any wormer or medication that 1 out of 100 might have some sort of reaction. I still use Strongid, Panacur and Drontal and just watch them closely for the first few hours after I give it, same with shots. Leaving them un-wormed is even more dangerous.

Unfortunately some dogs can have a reaction to anything we put in their systems. I have had a couple of rescue dogs that had violent reactions to Strongid which is considered one of the safest wormers there is. There is just no way to be 100% sure when you use any wormer or medication that 1 out of 100 might have some sort of reaction. I still use Strongid, Panacur and Drontal and just watch them closely for the first few hours after I give it, same with shots. Leaving them un-wormed is even more dangerous.

I gave Duke 1 1/2 Drontal Friday night, can you tell me your experiences with side effects from that med?

Guest TeddysMom

The only thing that happened with the Drontal is Teddy threw part of it back up and went off his food for a day. No one will ever know for sure if it was really the Drontal but I will try it again if he gets tapes but if the same thing happens we will try something else. He is the only GH but I have had several rescued boxers that had reaction from it. One went to the e-vet, he couldn't breath, the other one started violently throwing up and had to have fluids and Reglan. It is not common with any of these wormers but sometimes things just don't agree with a dog's system. Just remember that almost all adverse reactions happen or begin to show within the first 4-6 hours.

it defintely had an effect on him the first few days, restless, loss of appetite but slowly he has recouped, had boiled chicken for dinner and a somewhat solid bm. Yeah!

thanks for the reply

Guest TeddysMom

If you are just dealing with Tapeworms, I would ask your vet about Cestex. We used it a lot in FL with all the fleas there, almost every rescue came in with tapes. Drontal has several meds combined so it deals with the normal hookworms, whipworms, pin worms, a couple of more plus they add the ingredient for the tapeworms. The more combinations the more adverse reactions. That is the reason I don't get all their shots at the same vet visit. I give the DA2ppv myself, wait 2 weeks then go get their rabies and kennel cough if necessary. I'm sure Duke will be just fine, the meds just probably upset his system for a few days.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

SafeGuard 10% solution is Fenbendazole....exactly what Panacur is. We have used it for years here at the farm on all the Greyhounds.

If you are not sure of the dose or are not comfortable using it on your dogs, please buy your wormer from your vet and follow his instructions.

Ditto what Marilyn said :)

We use SafeGuard in the kennels about every 3rd month. We rotate wormers just like people do with horses :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest speedoketo

Drontal plus = febantel + pyrantel + praziquantel. Gets hooks, rounds, whips, and tapes. Febantel and fenbendazole are pretty much the same thing. I know people whose dogs have died getting into horse dewormer (usually border collies getting into ivermectin) because they get a huge overdose so everyone else's recommendations here are excellent to be careful and call your vet to check the dose.