Submissive Behavior

Guest lisa_grublesky

Guest lisa_grublesky

Our grey is very solitary and enjoys spending time up in the bedroom, even when we are downstairs. We have come to terms with this. When it is time for us to go out, we get her downstairs (easier now than before!) and put up a baby gate so she can't retreat upstairs when she comes in.

Lately, when she knows we are leaving, she will become very submissive when we are outside, rolling over on her back with her tail between her legs when we approach her. Lately, it has been happening more and more. Originally, we had to physically pick her up to get her moving. Lately, we have found that if we pet her belly and talk nicely, when we get up and move, she will then follow us.

Does anyone else have these issue? How do you handle it. I know she may get a little seperation anxiety (which I think is really funny since she likes to spend so much time alone), but sometimes it can be a little inconvienent when you need to leave to go to work!

Any other advice is welcome!

Lisa

LOL Sunshine does this when we bring her leash to go for potty walks. If she roaches and looks reeeeeaaaallllyyy cute maybe they won't be mean and make me get up and walk outside. :rolleyes: I don't think of it as submissive but rather one of her bizarre quirks. Maybe she just wants belly rubs? or you to blow raspberries on her belly? How old is she and how long have you had her? Maybe a cute puppy form of a temper tantrum? "don't leave me! Look I'm adorable!"

ETA we baby talk silly nonsense to her for a bit, growl and bite her belly, blow raspberries, etc. Then grab her tag collar and up she has to go so we can get the leash/collar on.

Edited by jgeiger2006

------

Jessica

Guest MyBoys

My very large boy Murphy does this all the time to me in the yard when I want him to come in, he rolls on his back and plays dead, of course because of his size there is no way he is being lifted, I try eveything from baby talk to treats but he lays there like a beached whale :lol. I never thought he was being submissive when he does this, I believe it is a little tantrum he has because he wants to stay out. So now when this happens I pull out the big guns and lie to him, I call to him and say DADDY"S HOME, he is such a Daddy's boy and thats all he needs to hear, he is up like a flash. I know I should not lie to my boy :shakefinger but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. RIGHT

Edited by MyBoys

Guest Jubilee251

Molly does this too, not with her tail between her legs so it's not a submissive thing for her. Like the others who commented, it's more just a playful thing for her. Now that the snow has melted, she LOVESSSS to roll in grass and dirt, and roaches waiting for a belly rub. I can barely let her off the asphalt walking path anymore because it turns into a 10-minute roll-fest in the grass. If I try to move her, she squirms and will let loose the GSOD. :blink:

What works for me is just walking away from her and saying "Mommy's leaving!" Or holding out a baggie of treats. That usually gets her up.

Guest Shermanator

2 words: chicken jerky.

My big old boys are a little opposite - they get nuts when then know I am leaving. Jumping, barking, and bumping me. Now, all I have to do is open the panty door, they run to their beds to lay down, and I give them their treat and leave in peace. :)

Downside- they come running into the kitchen EVERY TIME I open the pantry door.

Edited by Shermanator

Guest krystolla

I think she's being sneaky -- substituting being submissive for doing what you want. I've read that it's a big problem with people who train wolves, though I don't have any personal experience in that area. :rolleyes:

So rather than rewarding her for acting submissive (with tummy rubs and soft words) how about ignoring it for a minute and then an upbeat "Okay, let's go!". This would be a great time for a redirection command like "Look at me" or "get your toy" if she happens to know something like that.

Also, you probably should practice bringing her downstairs at times when you aren't leaving so that she doesn't necessarily feel that she is driving you out of the house. :P If she comes downstairs with you maybe gets a tasty treat and nobody leaves the house then maybe she won't feel like she needs to appease you every time you show up. B)

I think she's being sneaky -- substituting being submissive for doing what you want. I've read that it's a big problem with people who train wolves, though I don't have any personal experience in that area. :rolleyes:

Very interesting concept! Thanks

------

Jessica

Guest lisa_grublesky

Thanks everyone for your help!

I think I will try some of these ideas. I told my hubby that we shouldn't let her upstairs at ALL when we are home, so it isn't a hiding spot. She tends to respond better to him. (go figure).

She isn't very treat oriented. She loves to go bye bye, but sometimes not even her leash works. I try to be stern with her, but sometimes I think that makes it worse.

Anyways....I will try your suggestions and keep you informed.

Please feel free to keep suggestions coming!

Guest bluefawn

Candi does this too! She loves to be outside, and most of the time she won't come in when Penny does. When I go out to get her, she runs from me and wants to play "chase". When I finally do get her to stop, she lays down with her tail between her legs, on her side or belly up, very submissive. She is a big girl, and it's hard to pick her up! Like you said, it's difficult and time-consuming when you have to leave for work or elsewhere to get her indoors! And she also is not treat oriented, so no help there. She did it last night, too. I was straightening out her blankies in her crate, and she kept pushing to get in there. When I finally let her in, I went to pet her and say goodnight, and she rolled over, tail tucked. I rubbed her belly, and she liked it. It wasn't like Penny rolls over when she wants belly rubs. Hopefully both mine and yours will let us in on their little "secret" someday! Sorry I have no helpful suggestions, but wanted you to know you're not alone.smile.gif

Guest kydie

I have a lewellyn setter that turn right over when someone says "Arn't you cute" flop......... over he goes yes it is submission, as too.......

I'm so cute you can't leave me behind, or pay attention to me, or don't make me do what I don't want to :lol