Lump Between Toes

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Our newly adopted greyhound has a red, raw-looking lump/cyst between the toes on his front, left paw. (In checking the other paws, he appears to have this bump between a few other toes, but none of them are red or raw.) This doesn't seem to be affecting his gait at all, but he does lick it from time to time.

What is this? Should we take him to the vet? Is there anything I should be doing at home right now for him?

Guest Fasave

My guy had a cyst between his toes but it was never red and raw. I wonder if it's infected? You might want to try soaking it in warm water. My vet also put some slight pressure on it and managed to pop it. Not sure this is something you want to try as I did have a vet see him when the lump appeared.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Does it sorta resemble a strawberry? My dogs have gotten them from time to time. One had one on her foot, a lab mix, and a hound had one in his ear! They go away on their own, should only take about 8 weeks. They don't break open, but sometimes get a reddish brown mark on them. However, since it is something weird, and it's on his foot, I would get it looked at just to make sure. Can't be too safe with growths!

I would have it checked, but they definitly do get sebacious cysts between their toes, and they can flare up and get really irritated from time to time. They aren't dangerous, but if they're causing discomfort should be removed. To really get rid of a true sebacious cyst, your vet will have to remove the entire cyst (including the sac) not just drain it.

In the meantime, epson salt soaks should help with the discomfort and certainly won't hurt anything. If it is an infection, they'll help with that too.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Tokolos

Just wanted to follow up - We took Sprinkles to the vet and the vet prescribed Synotic with Baytril and Banamine to be dropped onto the area every 12 hours until it heals. The poor guy's been fine with the medicine, but he has to wear a sock over it for the first few days, and it's been tough to wrap the sock when he goes outside. I'm considering getting those disposable latex dog boots.