Vaginal Discharge In 10-Yr-Old Spayed Female

Guest Frannie

Guest Frannie

Mable's been fragile all five years she's been with me. Warts, bladder problems, timidity, you name it. It makes me love her all the more. She's now almost ten.

The other evening while she was roaching, I noticed a dried brownish/reddish discharge clinging to the fur around her labia. I cleaned her up with warm water and cotton; the stuff had flaked and nothing new seems to be coming out of her but there's always that little spot of dried goo. (I am also noticing a smell coming from her - I can't pinpoint where on her body, but she smells like egg salad from time to time.)

I looked the discharge issue up in my dog care book and the author mentioned the possibility of infection, bladder problem, or a mass.

We're going to the vet tomorrow. We are at the vet a lot. I am exhausted with worry.

Thanks,

Frannie

Probably just a little perivulvular dermatitis :) . Usually goes away with a week or two of gentle cleaning and triple antibiotic or similar ointment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SueG201

Having had b oth males and females, i have always found the girls to be cleaner with their parts than the boys who pee on their front legs, it sounds as if she has a bladder infection, is she squats close to the ground sh e can pick up bacteria off the ground

Guest Brindled_Greys

We had a Mabel too!! :) She lived to be 13! She had her share of similar issues. Could just be a urinary tract infection. They tend to lick themselves more when things like that are going on. Mabel was a red brindle, and I noticed her fur would look sort of reddish when she licked it. Try not to worry too much, the Vet will be able to track down what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jettcricket

My little 4 year old foster girl, Holly, gets the same thing. I'm taking her in this Sat. for an appointment for her eye. I'm gonna ask my vet.