Teeth Cleaning

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

Hi,

We are still having GI issues with Kelly, and the vet now suspects there may be a food sensitivity/intolerance going on after all, as well as (and maybe because of) the problems caused by his worms. Because he's been on a soft bland diet, and we're now (nervously!) trialing a hypoallergenic wet food, I'd like to start cleaning his teeth again (haven't done it for a few weeks as I hadn't really got him used to having his teeth done before he was ill, and didn't want to add to his stress while he was). However I'm a little wary of using commercial dog toothpastes in case there's any ingredient in them that might upset him, as we have no idea yet what he may be allergic to - all the one's I've seen seem to have a lot of stuff in them. Is there a plainer alternative anyone here uses that seems to do the trick?

Thanks! :)

Guest kydie

a canine dental hygenist told me to use baking soda, instead of the "brand" type products, wet brush apply small amout of soda and go to it good luck :)

I would also like to know. My foster is allergic to just about everything. I stopped brushing his teeth for a while. Then I tried just baking soda but it tasted so bad he fought the brushing. So for the last few months I have been using just a wet brush. I guess it has helped but he already has a lot of tartar build up and his dental was just last July.

Any thoughts?

Jane

BTW, I am just guessing as to his allergies, but he is definitely allergic to fish and fish oil. He is probably allergic to corn, wheat, and rice. He does okay on a diet of just potato and venison with no added fish oil. (If you go to potato and venison with fish oil he reacts again). I think he might also be allergic to chicken and possibly beef.

Guest kydie

there is a product on the market called Sam's Yams, dehydrated sweet potatos, my guys love them, they provide a good chewing action, I got mine through Best Bully sticks, the cheapest I could find, but if anyone knows where I can get them cheaper please post

Guest Energy11

I love Sam's Yams and Snooks Sweet Potatoe chews. The Snooks look like marrow bones, and give GREAT chewing action. I usually order the Sam's Yams on their on website, Front Porch Pets.

Good Luck, and happy chewing! ***I'd post the websites, but my AOL is really acting up today! :-(sad.gif

Baking soda. If you wish to make it more palatable, mix it with oil; a paste with water will work, but it's not yummy and they may not look forward to it. It will not dissolve in oil (fish oil, chicken grease, whatever), so you'll get a mushy paste that will be mildly abrasive but tasty. Moreover, oil keeps stuff from sticking to the teeth. Fats are the great anti-tartar compound.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Stripeyfan

Thanx for all the suggestions. Sorry if this is a totally dumb question... but is baking soda aka bicarbonate of soda (I'm in the UK)? Don't want to get the wrong thing! :P

Guest FullMetalFrank

I just had a canine dentistry seminar today in school; the Dr. addressed problems with dogs who are allergic to food items and suggested as an alternative to traditional poultry, peanut butter, or other meat flavored toothpaste, to try a mint flavor (CET makes a vanilla mint flavor that she recommended) much less likelyhood of a problem with food alleriges.

I just had a canine dentistry seminar today in school; the Dr. addressed problems with dogs who are allergic to food items and suggested as an alternative to traditional poultry, peanut butter, or other meat flavored toothpaste, to try a mint flavor (CET makes a vanilla mint flavor that she recommended) much less likelyhood of a problem with food alleriges.

Thank you so much for posting this suggestion! I checked with our vet clinic and they did have the CET Vanilla-mint flavour toothpaste so I got some and had the bright idea to use DH's electric toothbrush - I told him to buy a new one for himself. :lol I used the regular medium brush for Kieran who will let me do anything. I dremel her nails so I figured the sound of the toothbrush wouldn't bother her too much. She's such a sweet dog! After she was done, I switched the brush head to a soft one, since Otis' gums were very inflamed, even though he had just had a dental at the end of October. I really thought I was going to have to go through a routine of letting him lick the toothpaste off the brush, brushing one tooth, etc., over a period of a few days, but he was great! He didn't seem to mind the sound of the toothbrush; he won't let me dremel his nails at all, but he let me brush his whole mouth! His teeth and gums are looking better already, after just three days! They both seem to like the taste of the Vanilla-Mint toothpaste and their breath is actually quite nice, too. :)

Edited by greylyn

Guest bluefawn

there is a product on the market called Sam's Yams, dehydrated sweet potatos, my guys love them, they provide a good chewing action, I got mine through Best Bully sticks, the cheapest I could find, but if anyone knows where I can get them cheaper please post

I have also been giving mine Sam's Yams treats. Thanks for this info! They are cheaper than Front Porch Pets. I have not given mine bully sticks before. what size is good for the greyhounds?

Guest jaws4evr

Hello

We've been brushing our dogs teeth for a long time, and we dont' use any toothpaste at all. Just a wet childs toothbrush, and some treats afterwards :) Even without the dog toothpaste, just the gum stimulation and abrasion to remove debris etc makes a huge difference in health of the gums and breath stinkyness!

So if you're concerned about allergies, why don't you just not use any toothpaste at all, and see if the brushing alone is good enough for you?