Help! Toenail Is Gone!

Guest elisemg

Guest elisemg

Hondo just came in missing his rear toenail. Blood all over! I washed it off and put antibiotic cream on it. He is now laying down licking it (and all the cream off). The blood seems to be "seepy" at this point. What else should I do?

Guest 2greygirls

I am in the middle of dealing with this..Stretch ripped a nail off running the other day..it was a gusher. Keep it clean, but I 've been wrapping it lightly with a nonstick gauze pad, anti biotic ointment, and some vet wrap, and keeping him muzzled. I am going to start letting it air when I'm home for the next several days, I just want to make sure that it is on its way healing before I let him have free reign on it..I do NOT want to get that thing bleeding again. Keep an eye out for any signs of infection, and if there is a ragged bit or if something looks not quite right, you may need to pop into your vet, these kinds of things can be very painful. Of course if you think you have any infection , get some antibiotics. good luck, and I feel your pain.

Edited by 2greygirls

Guest Lovemyhound

My Vi lost her toenail recently. Hold a little pressure to stop bleeding, put antibiotic cream, then I covered with gauze and wrapped with "vet-wrap". I kept it clean, changed dressing, keep dry when walking outside until it appeared mostly healed (nice and dry) -- and all is well. Her nail is growing back verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.

Oh, and if she seemed to be licking at it at times (fortunately she didnt obsess over it) I put one of my little boys little socks on her foot. That way I didn't have to keep the vet wrap on it too much. AND another tip from the wonderful world of GT'ers -- if keeping wrapped with vet-wrap, put a little piece of cotton between the toes to avoid pressure sores.

Guest 2greygirls

I also add a little piece of duct tape on the toe, not pulled tight, you don;t want the wrap to be applying pressure..but the duct tape on the toe area acts like a little bandage protector, it just takes a strip..

Guest Energy11

OUCH! Toe nails are always scary, but usually not half as bad as they look! Here is something from our first aid presentation last year at Mt. Hounds. Hope it helps! Dee and The Five!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

My Max did this last summer. We couldn't get it stopped bleeding (because I didn't have any stypic powder), which is all they used to stop it and then loosely wrapped it with gauze bandaid and put vet wrap around it. Left it like that for a couple of days, and then undressed it and it was fine! It has grown back now, looks the same as his other nails - no other issues...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest GryffinSong

Gryffin lost a nail years ago, and it healed on its own (I did what the others have already suggested to you). The nail never grew back.