Gracey To The Vet Again, Considering Surgery

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

Hi all. I've been researching threads on GT about this subject. We've been battling really bad skin irritions with Gracey's vulva area. :blush We've tried a cream and pills with only minor improvement. It's obvious the irritation is bothering her and becoming painful. This is definitely an anatomy issue with her. No history of UTIs.

So, last time we were at the vet's office, surgery was brought up. Things are worse now, not better. I made an appointment for her to be seen this Friday afternoon (3/5). Can you guys think of any questions that I should ask besides recovery time and post-op care? I've seen the posts that say so many of you are glad you went ahead with the surgery, but I'm still worried. :( We signed up with Trupanion pet insurance a while back, thank goodness! :yay That takes the price factor away from my decision.

Please chime in with anything that might help us prepare for this appointment on Friday. I'm kind of considering it a pre-op appointment, because I think surgery is the only thing that's going to provide the relief that Gracey needs.

Dang Kristin, I went through this with Misty, it's not fun.

I was lucky and was able to get it under control and comfortable for her, but what was a big help for me is I'm always at home, and almost every time she went out to pee, I was able to clean her and apply the Desitin creamy which was a huge help.

I know there are quite a few here who have had the Vulvaplasty done and are happy they did. My biggest concern was the healing process and keeping Misty from licking the area after surgery.

Good luck, you're both in my thoughts and prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest K9Cookies

Yes, I'm worried about the licking too. When we aren't home though, she wears a muzzle because of her instigator issues. :rolleyes: I know she could lick through a muzzle, but we might be able to rig it up so it's more difficult.

DH is going to be really busy the next few weekends with basketball tournaments and he'll be traveling all over. That's going to be a factor scheduling the surgery. I'll be able to be home to keep an eye on her, so we'll see.

Kristin,

Maddie and I hope Gracey gets better real soon.

Also I need to send you an email to get Bobby's address to send him a care package for Easter. Hope all is well.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Yes, I'm worried about the licking too. When we aren't home though, she wears a muzzle because of her instigator issues. :rolleyes: I know she could lick through a muzzle, but we might be able to rig it up so it's more difficult.

DH is going to be really busy the next few weekends with basketball tournaments and he'll be traveling all over. That's going to be a factor scheduling the surgery. I'll be able to be home to keep an eye on her, so we'll see.

What might be a big help is the Bite Not collar. Most dogs can't reach that area with one on and they're at least comfortable

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Hi all. I've been researching threads on GT about this subject. We've been battling really bad skin irritions with Gracey's vulva area. blush.gif We've tried a cream and pills with only minor improvement. It's obvious the irritation is bothering her and becoming painful. This is definitely an anatomy issue with her. No history of UTIs.

So, last time we were at the vet's office, surgery was brought up. Things are worse now, not better. I made an appointment for her to be seen this Friday afternoon (3/5). Can you guys think of any questions that I should ask besides recovery time and post-op care? I've seen the posts that say so many of you are glad you went ahead with the surgery, but I'm still worried. sad.gif We signed up with Trupanion pet insurance a while back, thank goodness! yay.gif That takes the price factor away from my decision.

Please chime in with anything that might help us prepare for this appointment on Friday. I'm kind of considering it a pre-op appointment, because I think surgery is the only thing that's going to provide the relief that Gracey needs.

One thing to remember about Trupanion. They do not pay for pre-existing conditions. I have this company, and they will "dig" into her past before paying anything out. I like them for the most part, but, trust me, they won't pay until they are sure, this problem was there prior to your signing up. Good Luck with everything. Dee

I've only seen this done on one girl in our 'group'. she recovered just fine, and has never had any reoccurring problems.

The one thing I'd say, is the After look is very different from the Normal vulva look. some girls hound parts are tucked up and away you don't really see it... but If your girl's girl parts are out for display, you could be doing a bit of explaining. :rolleyes::blush

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest K9Cookies

One thing to remember about Trupanion. They do not pay for pre-existing conditions. I have this company, and they will "dig" into her past before paying anything out. I like them for the most part, but, trust me, they won't pay until they are sure, this problem was there prior to your signing up. Good Luck with everything. Dee

Thank goodness, we've only been going through all of these issues since we started with Trupanion. :) It wasn't a problem in the past. They have all of her medical records, so they can dig away. Our vet is fairly expensive, and the pet insurance is a load of our minds. After Bonnie and all of her chemo, we decided we couldn't wipe out our savings account again because of vet bills. :( I'll be calling Trupanion though, just to make sure we don't run into any problems. Thanks for the heads up!

Guest Energy11

Thank goodness, we've only been going through all of these issues since we started with Trupanion. smile.gif It wasn't a problem in the past. They have all of her medical records, so they can dig away. Our vet is fairly expensive, and the pet insurance is a load of our minds. After Bonnie and all of her chemo, we decided we couldn't wipe out our savings account again because of vet bills. sad.gif I'll be calling Trupanion though, just to make sure we don't run into any problems. Thanks for the heads up!

GOOD DEAL!!! You should be fine with your claims, then!! :))