Gunny - Remember That Bump In August?

Guest GunnyGirl

Guest GunnyGirl

I don't know if anyone remembers, but Gunny had a fast growing funky lump on her belly last August. Had surgery to remove it and the various tests that my vet did on it really returned nothing except some sort of infected fatty thing. She seemed to be better, didn't really act funny or sick, but there was one little hole that never closed on the surgical site. It would drip, not constant, but just enough to be annoying. She was back to the vet numerous times for it and put on various antibiotics and ointments, but nothing ever would heal it. I know its been a long time, but we finally got sick and tired of it and planned the vet trip. Then Gunny went off her food, lethargic, just not herself. The initial blood tests indicated normal white blood cells levels, but higher than normal globulin(?). (Oh, and thyroid, which doesn't concern me as my dobe took thyroid meds almost his entire life.) And a 104 fever. One more dose of antibiotics and we scheduled another surgery to get the area cleaned out and tissue tested. More blood tests. Her lungs were clear. She came out of surgery fine. Labs sent out. Home on tramadol.

That was Thursday. By Saturday, she needed the dressing changed and she is NOT a good girl for anyone messing with her, in fact she is horrid, so they had to anesthetize her a little to get a new dressing on. Fast forward to Monday morning, she's bleeding through the dressing. Left her at the vet where they only sedated her to get the wrap changed and see why shes bleeding (she has stitches). There was a tiny hole near the surgical site that was the source of the blood dripping. He got her wrapped up again and feels that she shouldn't be bleeding through the wrap again. And the labs had come back. She has 2 nasty infections, a staph and a strep. No MRSA or flesh eating, nothing like that. So that would be the cause of the fever and probably why it never healed in the first place(?) Now she's on cefalexin(sp).

All through this she has been pacing, whining, panting and now today, she's peed 2 times in the house, very un-Gunny-like. Her appetite has been OK through this, though to try to keep her eating and not lose too much weight, I've been mixing various things in her food like sardines, canned chicken, tuna, corned beef hash, hard boiled eggs, etc. And she hasn't lost but maybe 2 pounds. (this is one reason I like to keep her a tad heavier than some of you might like your dogs)

DBF and I are bickering all the time because we are so worried about her and both being control-freaks, we have no control over all of this. We just want her to be better and back to her old self. She's only just turned 7 years old. I think having to be put under or sedated 3 times in 5 days is part of the problem and maybe the cefalexin.

I'm not looking for answers, maybe just encouragement or "I've been there, this too shall pass".

Thanks for reading.

Just to send you hugs and say that we went through a really long bout of SIBO here, possibly brought on by cephalexin after a dental. Wouldn't have been so bad if we'd caught it sooner and realized that long-term soft-serve yellow poops are not normal for greyhounds! Just keep an eye out that the intestines don't get out of balance from all the anti-b's.

It will pass, hon, but it might wear you out for awhile. Sometimes this stuff happens despite people's bests efforts. You're doing everything you can. Try to take care of yourselves, you and DH, and remember you're on the same team. Catch yourselves when you're snappish, take a deep breath, exhale, and apologize. And don't forget to love on Gunny when she'll let you. (I had to work a bit to find times to just be with and be gentle with our Spencer, to reassure him that my presence didn't always mean getting a pill pushed down his throat!)

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Egad. Wonder if she wasn't on the right antibiotics, or not long enough, the first time?

If she was put under yesterday, that could be reason for peeing. Have heard a time or two of dogs reacting that way to anaesthesia. Wouldn't likely be the cephalexin *unless* it's bothering her tummy and she's drinking more. Could in that case try 1 regular-strength Pepcid (10mg famotidine is the generic; cheap!), wait 30-40 minutes, feed a meal or a nice snack (slice of bread, handful of biscuits or sardines), then give antibiotics.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear you are going through all of this :-(

Goldie DOES NOT do well with the local anesthesias, and take forever to come out of them, in addition to becoming incontinent of urine. MIGHT be all this sedation.

While Celephalixin (Keflex) is a good antiboitic, sound to me like something else should be tried. Curfew had a sheath infection, which seemed to go on FOREVER. Finally, my former/employer, said to combine Keflex with Cipro for seven days, and it did the trick!

I'd have the vet reaccess the antibiotic. Staph and Strep are NASTY bacteria, and I personally, do not think the Keflex is enough.

Sending love, hugs and lots of good luck!

Since your dog is on long term antibiotics, it is a good idea to give her Milk Thistle as well to protect her liver. I am also giving the Fuzz pepcid AC to coat his stomach before taking the meds. Good luck and I hope she heals well, this time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Since your dog is on long term antibiotics, it is a good idea to give her Milk Thistle as well to protect her liver. I am also giving the Fuzz pepcid AC to coat his stomach before taking the meds. Good luck and I hope she heals well, this time.

I also give Pepcid AC with my antibiotics! colgate.gif