Can I Give My Boy An Aspirin Or Advil?

Guest baileyjoesmom

Guest baileyjoesmom

One of my boys is having trouble going up and down steps. He seems to have a little pain but it doesn't seem to have a specific source. He has corns on all four feet so he limps a little but nothing more than he always did. He's 10 1/2 so I don't know if it's arthritis kicking in or something more. He seems the same as always on flat surfaces. The only difference has been a gradual, increasing reluctance to go up and down steps. He's now at the point where he cries and whines for a few minutes before he finally goes up or down. We're working on him letting us carry him but he panics. He is still able to make it on his own just fine but obviously it causes him pain. I'm making an appointment with my vet but in the mean time can I give him an aspirin or advil to help him a little?

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear your boy is in pain. Sounds like it could be "old age" arthritis. NO HUMAN Ibuprophen. You can, however, give (1) 81 mg (low dose) aspirin, twice a day, and I would give it with Pepcid AC (*generic is fine), to help the stomach.

I would see the vet when you can, and have him checked out, to be sure it isn't something more than arthritis, but it most likely is. There are A LOT of meds out there for the treatment of arthritis, and, things like canine accupuncture and chiropractic, too, as alternatives.

Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and your baby! Dee and The Five

p.s. Welcome to Greytalk! Greyt to have you!

Edited by Energy11

Guest greysonly

You can give him Buffered Aspirin. (325 mg) aspirin tablets. A 60 to 80 lb dog may be given one tablet twice a day (every 12 hours) or 1/2 tablet three times a day (every eight hours).

Edited to say I would use the low dose Energy11 has explained first to see if he is ok with it stomach wise. I used to give my boy the 325 mg every now and then when his arthritis would be bothering him.

Edited by greysonly

Guest Energy11

I am not a vet. Wish I was :-))

Anyway, My current vet is ticked off at me, for giving Curfew 1/2 81 mg low dose aspirin a day with Pepcid AC, to keep his blood thin, (*I am convinced his episodes are mini strokes). Anyway, I was always told by my previous vet/employer and, now by my current vet, that large doses of human aspirin is a "no no," due to stomach ulcers and bleeding. **My current vet is totally against all dosages/types of human aspirin, due to stomach problems. I am giving Curfew the 1/2 81 mg, per DR. COUTO.

I would say, it may vary, as it does with people, from dog, to dog. Like greysonly said, I'd start with the low dose, and see if it helps, and go from there.

Lots of luck and lots of Love! Dee and The Five

Guest 3greysinPA

I just wanted to add something that my vet just told me...

It was on Friday.. when i took LisaAnn to the vet for limping..and crying trying to get up..

remember that thread...

Well anyway... Our vet started LisaAnn on the Deramaxx and SHe is doing so good.. no more crying and no more limping...

When i had asked the vet about giving Aspirin.. She said No.. that it was very risky to give a greyhound or any dog Aspirin unless you have had current blood work done on the dog.

So, just something to consider due to bleeding issues, etc.

Take care of the corns! it is always better to get to the root of the pain than to mask the issue with meds

I speek from experience with the corn issue,even when you think the corns are under control, they crop up quickley, and are painful to the dog ;)

Edited by kydie

When i had asked the vet about giving Aspirin.. She said No.. that it was very risky to give a greyhound or any dog Aspirin unless you have had current blood work done on the dog.

My old vet, that we liked, that has worked with plenty of track greyhounds, was of the NO Aspirin group as well. He had seen too many bad things happen to greyhounds that have been given aspirin.

Guest Energy11

My old vet, that we liked, that has worked with plenty of track greyhounds, was of the NO Aspirin group as well. He had seen too many bad things happen to greyhounds that have been given aspirin.

I agree ... my two vets are not happy with giving greyhounds/dogs, aspirin, but, it is, "okay, for a short time ..."

I agree ... my two vets are not happy with giving greyhounds/dogs, aspirin, but, it is, "okay, for a short time ..."

Our old vet has had greyhounds die from ONE aspirin. Too many for him to be comfortable with, so he says no to ANY aspirin.

Guest Energy11

Our old vet has had greyhounds die from ONE aspirin. Too many for him to be comfortable with, so he says no to ANY aspirin.

VERY interesting!

For Curfew, and other greys suspected of having strokes/mini strokes, recommends 1/2 of an 81 mg low dose aspirin, given with Pepcid AC or it's generic, daily. It is in his published literature. It is obviously for a specific condition, and not for routine pain relied.

I know where you are coming from. As I posted previously, neither my vet here, or my former vet/employer, are fans of aspirin.

Guest baileyjoesmom

I've tried to take care of the corns but they seem to be far more painful for him when they grow back. Does anyone else have that problem? I try to keep them filed down even with the pad but other than that I don't know what else to do. I had my vet hull them out with a dental tool but he limped horribly until they were grown back in. I tried the duct tape method and I tried human corn remover. Each time the corns came out and offered relief for a little bit but then really horrible limping again until they had regrown. I would love to take away his pain from the corns. Both my boys love long, long walks but they can only tolerate short ones now, even with therapaw boots.

Thank you so much for the replies about aspirin! I was going to try to give him one but now I'm a little nervous. Plus I scheduled them both for teeth cleaning next week so I'll hold off until his vet appointment right after that. Poor guy. I feel so bad. Corns + getting old sucks.

Guest 2greygirls

I give mine aspirin occasionally, and at the kennel when they were racing , all racers got an aspiring with their food after they ran. My vet doesn't think aspirin in small amounts is a problem... she is very grey savvy, and worked on active racders as well as retirees. I would talk to your vet though, about pinpointing the source of the pain, if it is the corns, i don't think the aspirin will help. Sometimes with a nebulous sort of pain, I have found that the source is a pulled back or pinched nerve..

Guest Energy11

I've tried to take care of the corns but they seem to be far more painful for him when they grow back. Does anyone else have that problem? I try to keep them filed down even with the pad but other than that I don't know what else to do. I had my vet hull them out with a dental tool but he limped horribly until they were grown back in. I tried the duct tape method and I tried human corn remover. Each time the corns came out and offered relief for a little bit but then really horrible limping again until they had regrown. I would love to take away his pain from the corns. Both my boys love long, long walks but they can only tolerate short ones now, even with therapaw boots.

Thank you so much for the replies about aspirin! I was going to try to give him one but now I'm a little nervous. Plus I scheduled them both for teeth cleaning next week so I'll hold off until his vet appointment right after that. Poor guy. I feel so bad. Corns + getting old sucks.

My Staggerlee is 9.5 with bad corns. He walks only in his Voyagers Canine booties. We "hull" the corns, but the areas are still painful. A LOT of greyts use booties, due to corns. Might be your answer, as well. Good Luck . Yes, aging, (canine or human :-), and corns, Suck!