Corn Help

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

I'm new to this. Which part is the actual corn? The whole thing? There's a place that seems harder than the rest, but the whole pad feels hard.

IMG_1528.jpg

It's currently soaking in epsom salt, we're hoping to get a better view and maybe file it down or something for her. Or nothing, we're not really sure what to do.

Food for thought to investgate...........

We recently heard something of interest about a hound that had Laser treatment on one of his front toes.

This greyhound originally had a toe amputated not because of a corn but an infection caused by a grass seed that entered his toe from the soft part at the back of the toe. (It caused a nasty infection in the bone joint and was only seen by chance by the vet.) Since then his other toe on the other foot which has a corn too became painful around the nail and the nail started to lift upwards just like the other toe had. The owners fearing the worst and thinking "not again" he went in for an X-ray to discover the toe joints were quite okay this time, no crumbling at all much to their relief. The vet however thought why he was getting pain and why he developed corns was perhaps due to the ligaments in his toes, they were making his lower toe joint bend sideways instead of being straight, hence making him walk differently on the pad of his toe and so causing corns.

The hound in question has had four lots of laser treatment on his toe and he no longer has pain in his toe and guess what.........the treatment is shrinking the corn.

There is hope that the laser will completely make the corn disappear, the vet advises it should completely disappear.

There is one more treatment to go on the ligaments of his toe and if the corn hasn't disappeared completely by then, they will continue once a month in the hopes it will disappear all together.......so here's hoping!!!

The vet has said the corn should not reappear especially as the ligaments have been made stronger by the laser treatment and he is now walking correctly on that toe.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Corn Hulling

This is where I learned to hull corns myself, but I WOULD NOT do this if you are not completely comfortable about it.

Stepper and Fiona both have corns that I hull. Fionas has to be hulled about once every two months (she had a toe amputated and that is what causes the corn on the adjacent toe) Steppers get hulled about 2-3 times a year, he has two, one on each front foot.

I have heard bee propolis or something like that can help them go away. Can someone confirm that I am mentioning the right product?

Guest bigbrindlebunny

We're struggling with a corn too. It's so frustrating. I've been taking my boy to the Greyhound guru Vet my adoption group uses for the corn work. The white-ish part on his pad is the corn. You'll see a circular outline to it. Eventually there will be a raised dome to it. In fact your dog's paw looks like ours.

The guru Vet said he's tried laser and didn't have good results, the corns came back.

My regular Vet, who is a brilliant guy, wants to cut in deeper and see if we can get healthy tissue to regenerate. But I'm scared to do that, I think we'll just get more callusing and deeper in trouble if we go that route.

So we hull every 1.5-2 months, and use bag balm and cut away what we can between times. But it's clearly not getting any better, we're just maintaining.

The whole thing makes me headwall.gif

Zema had hers hulled @ every 3 weeks for @ a year. Then, at her next dental, her vet hulled the corn one more time and then ran the surgical laser *very* lightly over the hulled surface (the little depression left after the corn is hulled out). No more corn.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have heard bee propolis or something like that can help them go away. Can someone confirm that I am mentioning the right product?

Yes that's right Holly. I remember reading somewhere here on GT that someone had successful results with it....

The guru Vet said he's tried laser and didn't have good results, the corns came back.

The vet has said the corn should not reappear especially as the ligaments have been made stronger by the laser treatment and he is now walking correctly on that toe.

As I said walking correctly due to stronger ligaments should ensure the corn would not reappear. Laser would only remove the 'said' corn without invasive hulling.

Good luck lanielovesgreys for your greyhound in whatever treatment you use......

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

We're struggling with a corn too. It's so frustrating. I've been taking my boy to the Greyhound guru Vet my adoption group uses for the corn work. The white-ish part on his pad is the corn. You'll see a circular outline to it. Eventually there will be a raised dome to it. In fact your dog's paw looks like ours.

My regular Vet, who is a brilliant guy, wants to cut in deeper and see if we can get healthy tissue to regenerate. But I'm scared to do that, I think we'll just get more callusing and deeper in trouble if we go that route.

So we hull every 1.5-2 months, and use bag balm and cut away what we can between times. But it's clearly not getting any better, we're just maintaining.

The whole thing makes me headwall.gif

I had a corn surgically removed from my Sissy's toe once. Blasted thing grew right back when the toe healed from the surgery. From my experience, I would NOT recommend surgical excision.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I've struggled with trying to find a solution to corns for a little while now and I'm convinced that there really isn't a cure-all that works for everyone. I think the best most of us can do is figure out a good way to manage them. For us, we hull the corn when it gets big enough and then treat it with bee propolis. The corn always comes back but the bee propolis seems to lessen the both the depth of the corn and amount of time it takes for the corn to grow back. When the corn grows big enough to cause more pain, but before we get to hulling it, we use a thera-paw on that foot. I would also avoid going with the surgical route - it's more painful and intrusive, and it never seems to be work permanently either.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg