Senior Dog Behavior Changes

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

We have 2 young male greys and a 12 yr old female mutt. Over the past year everything seems to irritate her and she shows us with mad annoying barking, taking the beds & toys of the others, and most recently instigating aggression in the other two dogs. She will chase them in the yard and bite at them. Usually she can't catch them, but when she does get one in we have puncture wounds to deal with. Sometimes she just gets mad that they are walking by and bites. The barking is so bad I just can't stand it and am at my wits end.

She never used to be this way- it really seems to be age related. We try giving her special loving, but she walks away. The only time she seems to want attention is when the boys are getting it and once they leave she's done to.

Does anyone know if dogs every are put on mood relaxing drugs? I tried rescue remedy- no luck.

I don't know what else to do, but now that she is biting I need to figure out something.

Any ideas or experience?

Guest krystolla

Have you tried taking her to the vet for a general senior wellness check? She could be feeling off because of arthritis, blood pressure or heart problems and taking it out on those around her. Her symptoms do approximately match with canine senility (link) but that's something you'd need to check with your vet.

Guest Energy11

Yep, sounds like time for a good senior check up, with blood work and urine, and if this all okay, it could be Canine Cogintive Disease (doggie Alzheimers), and YES, there is a medication for this. Our old man, Dasher took it, and it did help! (Anipril) http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/aniprylseniors.htm

Good Luck and lots of hugs!

Guest LindsaySF

Vet check, just in case.

If she were a Greyhound I would say to muzzle her in the yard, but she's probably never worn one before so it will be hard to start now. I would turn her out separately from the Greys to prevent the chasing and biting.

Another vote for a vet check. Something could be bothering or hurting her and this is her way of trying to tell you she just doesn't feel right.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest hlpnhounds

I also vote for vet visit. Sometimes behavior changes are due to some illness going on and the agressive behavior is a defense response against the younger, sronger animals in the pack.

I'm just throwing this out there----

Science Diet makes a prescription diet (B/D) that is sometimes given to dogs with behavior changes or other possible brain-related issues. Seeing results from diet changes can take some time to kick in but it might be a nice complement to whatever treatment (if any) your vet recommends.

I hope it all turns out well !!!! Good luck.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I would do a check up for sure, i had similar issues with my old girl and found out she was having thyroid issues, we now have her on something and she is back to normal again.