Urination - Lots And Lots Of Urination

Guest Cara_Lea

Guest caiteag

I don't know if this should be here or training.. but we'll just go with here...

I am currently fostering 2 19month old greyhound pups... one of them is peeing HUGE amounts. He is being taken out to the bathroom every 3 or 4 hours and peeing a LOT each time. He is also having accidents in the house. When he has accidents, I correct immediately and take him right outside.. where I praise him profusely for peeing. Here is the thing... between 5 - 6 bathroom trips per day, he is still having 3 - 4 accidents in the house every day. As he is a foster, I can't just make the decision to take him to the vet. I spoke with our adoption coordinator today and she wants to wait one more day and see if he improves at all. If not, tomorrow a urine sample will be going to the vet to see if he has an infection. He is also being walked every evening.

I have tried belly bands on him in the house.. he just pees right through them. When I take them out of their crates next, I am going to check the crate bedding and see if he has been peeing in there without my knowledge. In the good news category, he has only been peeing on the vinyl flooring, so the messes have been easy to clean up.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has any other suggestions or thoughts...

Edited to add: He seems to be drinking pretty normal amounts. His first day he drank a lot.. but that isn't uncommon with a new foster as they've been on a LONG hauler ride... and since then his drinking has seemed pretty normal.

Edited by caiteag

He may still be drinking more than the normal pet just because of the stress of being in a new home. I don't know what you use in your belly bands Cara Lea, but you might try a Poise pad, those can really soak up the urine without leakage. I agree with you, if he's not better soon I'd check for a UTI.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LindsaySF

If he's peeing that often, it could be medical. What does his pee look like? Is it concentrated (yellow) or dilute (clear)?

He could be drinking/peeing a lot due to stress, but if it keeps up I'd bring him to the vet.

Guest caiteag

His urine is fairly yellow... and I checked, he has been peeing in his crate as well. When I talk to the adoption coordinator later today I am going to strongly urge a vet trip. And DH is picking up poise pads on his way home from work.

To the vet for sure.I am not a fan of belly bands, but I especially wouldn't use one where there's a good chance this is a medical issue.

Good luck, please keep us posted

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest caiteag

Def. needs to see the vet. How's his weight?

I was told his weight is in the neighbourhood of 60lbs. Both boys are built EXTREMELY small and just to look at him, he could use to gain a couple of pounds but he is pretty normal for a dog right out of the kennel.

To the vet for sure.I am not a fan of belly bands, but I especially wouldn't use one where there's a good chance this is a medical issue.

Good luck, please keep us posted

Well she did mention that the dog is peeing right through the band so the belly band isn't doing any harm. The band with a good absorbent pad inside of it will at least help contain the mess until she gets the go-ahead to get the do to the vet.

The Poise pads will work, but also regular baby diapers will do as a lining.