Type Of Muzzle To Buy

Guest Chiieddy

Guest Chiieddy

We're going to be adopting a greyhound in a few weeks, but have 2 cats who are not used to any dog, much less a greyhound. We thought it best if we muzzle the dog while introducing him or her to the cats when we bring it home. We expect to meet our dog and bring it home the same day, and the adoption agency (http://www.greycanine.com) suggests purchasing everything before even making the appointment to visit.

One thing I noticed is the muzzles recommended throughout the forum come in two sizes, one for male and one for female greyhounds.

Which one do I purchase if I don't even know what size dog we'll be taking home?

I haven't seen anything like these at our local pet store or I'd buy one of each and return the one that didn't work.

Guest Chiieddy

The group doesn't give one with the adoption?

Our groups give them with the adoption

congrats!!!!

When I called on the phone, she said a martindale collar and leash were included, but didn't mention a muzzle, no.

Guest Swifthounds

I've gotten mine through www.halemar.com Most greyhounds can wear the smaller size. Only the very large greyhounds with long noses need the larger size.

If you're local and may only need the muzzle for a short time, Marilyn can probably loan you a muzzle until you can purchase one elsewhere. She can also show you how to properly adjust it as well. I've adopted three times through G.A.S and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows more about each and every greyhound in a kennel than Marilyn.

Are you from the New England area? G.A.S has a spring picnic each May and we make the trip up there most years. Maybe we'll see you there.

Guest Chiieddy

I've gotten mine through www.halemar.com Most greyhounds can wear the smaller size. Only the very large greyhounds with long noses need the larger size.

If you're local and may only need the muzzle for a short time, Marilyn can probably loan you a muzzle until you can purchase one elsewhere. She can also show you how to properly adjust it as well. I've adopted three times through G.A.S and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows more about each and every greyhound in a kennel than Marilyn.

Are you from the New England area? G.A.S has a spring picnic each May and we make the trip up there most years. Maybe we'll see you there.

We live in metro Boston. We were referred to G.A.S. from friends who have multiple greyhounds. We were waiting to adopt until we moved out of a small apartment into a larger house (so we had space for the crate). The thing I'm most nervous about is the reaction of the 12 yr old and 7 yr old cats who have never had to live with a dog before. We're gating most of the house off from the dog, leaving the bedrooms and kitchen to the cats, so they can escape. We can only hope it's enough. I definitely want a muzzle on when introducing. I know Marilyn cat tests, but there's no 100% certainty. When I call her on Friday for the appointment, I'll see if she can accommodate a loan.

Guest LindsaySF

See if the adoption group can loan or sell you a muzzle. That said, a small will fit most boys too, though you might have to loosen the straps.

Most groups send hounds home with a muzzle. You can also order them from Birdwellenterprises.com All of my hounds wear a large muzzle, including my females, with the exception of Bebe and she has a small but she's a tiny female.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee