I'm Freaking Out

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest GentleHugs

Hopefully this might add some comfort to you.

I have a little girl who has a long story behind her but to make this short - she was on the run for almost 5 months and was hit by a car before she came to me. Her left hip was broken. Now, before anyone ever discovered her hip had been broken, it started to heal on its own. Finally, when it WAS discovered, the group that finally took her in, had exrays done and sent them to Dr. Couto for a second opinion. Their vet was talking about doing a total hip replacement. Dr. Couto disagreed with that. He said to leave well enough alone because it was already healing and she wouldn't really benefit from a hip replacement. She was finally getting around just fine although it had taken 6 months for her to get to that point.

They left it alone and although her left hip is higher than her right and she walks with a limp - she runs, spins, jumps, cockroaches and SITS PERFECTLY - all the stuff that any other "normal" dog would do. Her left leg is a good half inch shorter than her right leg. The ONLY thing that bothers her is when someone tries to manipulate her leg straight back. She can stretch on her own but to have someone else try and stretch her leg back - she yelps. She's also got permanent nerve damage to her kidneys and bladder so if you gently apply pressure to her just above the tuck area and before the hip (her waist area) - she squirts out pee but she does well in the house and has no accidents in the house.

Just before Christmas, she tweaked her bad hip a bit while playing and she started limping. She's 7 and of course, my brain immediately jumped to the big C at first until I realized that she tweaked her hip. I kept her on lead, would NOT allow her to run, jump or anything other than walking for 2 weeks.

Then the blizzard hit and although it was horrible weather outside, it was a blessing in disguise for her. It kept her quiet for another 3 weeks of rest which that hip needed. Now, the snow and ice has all melted and the temperature has warmed up, she's back being the crazy little girl she was before.

My regular vet is an orthopedic vet by specialty and he's performed his exam on her several times. He told me that she has learned her limits of what she can and can't do and to leave it alone. He also said she will most likely start developing some arthritis in that hip and when it does start presenting itself, we will up her joint meds a little more to keep her comfortable.

So far, she is doing fine. She's a total nutcase and drives me to the brink of going insane but we love her all the same. Her name is LuLu and if you want to read her story - just click on her name in my siggy. It's a shortened version of what happened to her.

I'm hoping and praying that Shazam will be ok. Maybe it was a very old injury that healed with some scar tissue and he aggravated it or weakened it somehow. Hopefully Dr. Couto will review everything and at least give you good news on your boy.

grouphug.gif for you and for Shazam kiss1.gifhope.gif

Guest VaGreymom

Sending positive thoughts and gentle hugs. grouphug.gif Involving Dr. Couto is the best thing you could do. He will give you the answer to what is causing the problem.

Guest greytloves

Just thought I would check here tonite since I have not received an email update...... :unsure

So it is not OS? And it could be an old injury? :yay

That makes me so happy to hear I know how upsetting just the word OS at the vets office feels. Once you have been there each and every limp makes a little piece of you collapse in fear.

Did you officially adopt him? I had not heard that either. Guess you've been keeping me out of the loop. :crying

eta: BTW, want a puppy? :lol

Edited by greytloves