I'm Freaking Out

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Our new boy, Shazamm has had a limp ever since we've had him (2 months--fostered for a month then failed) and we (and the vet after a quick exam) assumed it was arthritis and the cold wet weather had made it flare up. But two months on novox and glucosamine and warmer weather didn't seem to help, if anything it seemed a little worse some days. So, now that he's ours (rather than our foster) I took him in to get him chipped and get some x-rays done--just to make sure what was what. And, I figured that if he needed to stay on novox that he needed to have some liver and kidney functions done as well.

Long story short, the hock looks fine, but when they decided to xray his hips Zamm screamed when they were manipulating his hip. . .they had to sedate him a little to get pictures. THe vet said it looks like a break in his pelvis--but there have been no recent accidents and if it was an old break it would look healed. . .so it's weird. she's worried about OS. . .I asked her to see if Dr. Couto would take a look she's going to call him.

So. . .they're giving us stronger pain meds and I guess we'll see.

My heart is in my throat. . .and I know it will be awhile before we know.

sigh.

Edited by SillyIzzysMom

Guest Energy11

Oh Boy! I sure hope it isn't OS! Showing everything to Dr. Couto is a great idea.

Please just TRY to keep positive thoughts, as anything is possible.

Sending MILLIONS of prayers, good thoughts, and lots of love!

Dee and The Five

Oh geez... :( Hope it's not OS. :hope My understanding is that OS mostly hits the long bones, such as either end of the femur, rather than the pelvic bone.

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Good thoughts for you and Shazamm

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest Adoptastar

we had a greyhound we placed just go through this....and 5 vets into it, we've found the issue... what kicked it off was a slip and fall, but it turns out that wasn't the issue. the issue was that the body was attacking itself, due to over production of progesterone, which was kicking an auto-immune response. Symptoms sound like what you are experiencing. Direct shot of cortisone seemed to provide immediate relief (he gets 1x per week), they now are testing different long-term options.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I went and picked him up--the vet took me back and showed me the x-rays--definitely something weird looking on his pelvis--like a big gaping crack on his left ilium. I mean, seriously? It looks like the bone is separated with a lightning bolt shaped gap. . .odd. And rather than being able to see the sacrum (I'm struggling with my anatomy. . .is that right?) stretching across to the other ilium, it doesn't seem to show up at all--it looks dark in the middle. She mentioned that that was strange too. Hmmmmm....

I have no detailed history on Shazamm, all i know is that he hasn't had a traumatic event when with me or with his foster mom. Who knows what happened before that? (Although his foster-mom works with the man who surrendered Zamm, you'd think he might have mentioned the dog getting hit by a car or something?) He does have a broken right hock, presumably from racing, and maybe he got some kind of hip injury then as well. But the vet thinks it would look different if it were an old, healed fracture.

Anyway, my vet is stumped. She sent the x-ray to an veterinary orthopedist in Dallas and is sending it to Dr. Couto as well.

Poor Zamm is panting a little (I think it's the sedative wearing off) but other than that he seems fine. They gave me some tramadol for him as well. . .I think his screams on the x-ray table convinced her that he is hurting (poor guy).

thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

Poor Shazamm. I am keeping my fingers very tightly crossed that it's not osteo and that you find out what it is soon. The waiting is the worst :( :(

:grouphug:goodluck:grouphug:goodluck:grouphug:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

If ANYONE can figure this out, Dr. Couto and team will! I KNOW it is hard, but try to hang in and relax ... this coming from a greyhound Mom who hasn't slept well in almost a week! Love, hugs and many prayers! Dee and The Five

Sending you many, many hugs and prayers. I know how scary this is and I am praying that this will turn out to be a benign issue with a simple fix. (((Hugs))) :grouphug

Oh, no! The poor boy. I hope you can find some answers soon.

He looks great in your beautiful siggy, by the way.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm sorry you and Shazam are going through this. For what my opinion is worth what you described on the x-ray doesn't sound like osteo. You are already doing exactly what I would advise, so I'll sit back and wait to see what the experts tell you. Sending hugs and prayers that this is easily treatable.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.