Greyhound Break Failure

Guest EmilyandSioux

Guest EmilyandSioux

The day afte Christmas I was put in the hospital for a blood transfusion and surgery. On Monday my husband calls and says Sioux ran into the hog wire fence face first. Our vets are closed on Mondays and I am a Tech so you can see what is going on in my mind. Sioux was chasing a squirrel and forgot to stop before the fence and his nose went into the hole and scraped the top of it. I finally found a vet that was open and Glenn and Sioux go get 4 staples in Sioux's nose and a e-collar. He was so good he never moved. He now has a scar on his nose and a lot of extra attention. The staples are out and he is doing great. He now stops sooner.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Fences of any kind scare me to death when my girl is running full tilt. Our yard at home has solid wood fencing and she can see that great; but if we take her out for some serious running at the ballfield or dog park, we avoid poor visibility conditions and also other dogs as she tends to focus on them and not her proximity to the fence.

I am glad your pup is OK. If you think he may have trouble seeing the wire fence at times, you could always get some of that high visibility tape and "flag" the fence at his eye level at intervals a foot apart or so.

Glad to hear he is ok...poor guy...hard to concentrate on the dumb squirrel and fence at the same time :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest GryffinSong

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sounds like something my big goof would do! :lol I'm so glad Souix has recovered from this little escapade!

Poor Sioux and poor you. What a thing to have to deal with when you're laid up! Hope you're feeling better.

We've had fence issues here too. The squirrels trot down the top of the solid wood privacy fence, flicking their tails, making jeering squirrel noises. Well it's just too much for Maggie to bear. She makes a big loop, casual canter at first. Clicks into gallop on the curve. Going full tilt on the straight away - leaps and smashes her whole body sideways into the fence. And 50% of the time - the squirrel falls on her side of the fence. Gotcha!!! It can't be easy, but she smiles while holding on to the stoopid squirrel for her victory lap. And then I take her in and pull the splinters out of her shoulder. Silly girl.

BTW - Maggie thinks scars are sexy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.