Need Crossed Fingers For Isis

Well, our problem girl will soon be 10 and has decided to add to Mom & Dad's age also.

Her problem has been on going for a few months now, small showing of blood in urine on occassion. Her tests did not show anything so kept fingers crossed all would be okay. Returned home 2 weeks ago

and she had a BM that was runny and blood also. Called the vet and took in a sample, 2nd one in a matter of months, no blood in the first one, just runny. They called and rather than keep bringing in

samples they suggested the Senior 7 Panel be done for both her and Thor when he went in for a dental.

Thor is in excellant health according to the tests. We decided that in addition to the chest x-rays we would also have a sonogram done for Isis. Well, our Vet said all looked well, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys did not show anything that would suggest cancer or why she was having problems. Her intestine wall did show signs of thickening so they ask for permission to take blood and send it to be tested for IBS. Also her Thyroid which was 1.2 was now .7 so they thought we should put her on Soloxine .4 mg 2x a day for 2 months to see if that will help with her eating (some days she will eat fine, others she will just walk away). Also she get 50 mg of Rimadyl 2x a day for her arthritis.

Last night she ate about a cup of food, no breakfast today but did eat her biscuits. Tonight, ate all her supper. 1 1/2 cup of diet CD and ground turkey cooked with broth. I know I probably worry way too much, but she is my heart girl and having lost 2 beautiful boys to osteo I think the worse.

Please say a little prayer for our girl that all will turn out well and we can find out what is causing her lack of appetite and bowel problem. It will be a week before the Vet knows the test results, I'm worried because she has lost about 5 lbs and I'm not use too seeing all her ribs. She means so much to us.

Linda

Guest mcsheltie

Has the blood in the urine been confirmed by urinalysis or just from what you see while she is going? Darker urine doesn't always mean blood is present.

Blood in the stool is often present when the bowels are very irritated. It isn't always something sinister. Both IBD & IBS cause thickening of the bowels, irritation, blood in the stool and diarrhea. The dog doesn't feel well, so eats sporadically.

The Rimadyl could be bothering her stomach also. I have read that repeated bouts of giardia can cause IBS in dogs. Campylobacter can cause similar symptoms, did he test for that in the stool samples?

So what I am trying to say in a long-about-way is these symptoms do not mean she has that friggin C word. Talk to your vet about what diet he would recommend if she does have IBS and see if you can get started on that. IBS dogs are hypersensitive to fat. Soluble fiber helps some dogs and Loperamide is also used to control IBS. But bacterial causes need to be ruled out first.

Linda,

Hoping you get good news from the vet. Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Isis. I know how much she

means to you. :bighug

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks everyone, and I will be sure to ask the vet about the questions Julie suggested. Still waiting for the blood results. Blood in the urine and stool isn't all the time so I'll be anxious to hear the results. If it isn't that, then I'll suspect the Rimadyl.

Mary, hope you all are doing fine, give Sherri a hug for me.

Linda - will keep you in Skip in our thoughts while you wait on blood work. Hugs to Isis and Thor. Tell Thor to be nice to his sister while she isn't feeling well.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Sending many prayers and healing white light.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead