Do Seizures Make Him Smarter?

Okay I know that sound like a silly starter, but I'm really asking in earnest. Ever since Argo has begun having seizures he has become more aware of smells, how things work, and manipulating his environment to get what he wants.

I'm not saying that he was stupid, and since he's blind his sense of smell has always been good, but goodnight he's like crazy dog going for the goodies. Some things that he's begun to learn is how to open the fridge, how to get things out of the sink, how to get Icarus to go outside so he can get Icarus's spot, finding candy wrappers inside of coat pockets that are buried under other clothes, and opening doors!

I know that a lot of people here have dogs that already do these things but Argo never has. We've lived in the same house for 5 years and he's never done any of these things. I think it's interesting and was curious if anyone else's epileptic houndie has been like this either. :dunno

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

Guest Energy11

Sometimes, changes in the brain chemistry can cause the things you are talking about. Also, and please do NOT get upset, ... brain tumors can also cause what you are talking about.

More than likely, the seizures could be causing a change in the total brain chemistry. This happens in humans, as well.

You now have a total FOOD HOUND, right :-) Good Luck with all of this. As you know, seizures can be serious business, but, sounds like they are under control.

I'm pretty sure that the epilepsy can cause a heightened sense of smell. I can't find any studies online at the moment, but just in terms of neural issues in general, it makes sense. It could just be the immense resounding pain associated with them, BUT when I am in the midst of a migraine (they stretch out over a few days in varying degrees for me), I can smell things MUCH more strongly, my ears are piqued, and I can practically *feel* colors and lights. ugh.

On a related note - I once worked with someone who had psychotic olfactory episodes, meaning that she often smelled things that weren't present. Unfortunately for her, it was usually something like dirty diapers (I guess that wouldn't be a downside for a dog, though :) ). I read somewhere that epilepsy can cause this.

I'll link stuff up if I can find it..

Hooray I'm not crazy! :yay

Energy11 - We haven't totally ruled out a brain tumor but since the seizures have stopped, he started pheno on January 4th and by now he would have had at least 3, I'm PRAYING that means there's no tumor.

signature.jpg

Guest Energy11

Hooray I'm not crazy! yay.gif

Energy11 - We haven't totally ruled out a brain tumor but since the seizures have stopped, he started pheno on January 4th and by now he would have had at least 3, I'm PRAYING that means there's no tumor.

I HOPE it isn't a brain tumor... that is what the vet here THOUGHT Curfew had. I KNOW in humans, a brain tumor will and does change many things, including smell, hunger, and more.

Wishing you only the best! Dee and The Five

Guest LindsaySF

Phenobarbital can cause excessive hunger and other symptoms, which would make him get into things more, go on the hunt for food, chew things more, open doors/cabinets, etc. Sophie is usually pretty well-behaved, but when she is in one of her hunger episodes nothing is safe! And she is more stubborn and single-minded than usual. Since Argo just started pheno I would suspect that is the cause. See if frequent snacks help. Sophie gets some kibble every few hours and it helps her. :)

And she is more stubborn and single-minded than usual. Since Argo just started pheno I would suspect that is the cause. smile.gif

Holy cow that's Argo too! He's always been hard-headed but even more so now. I just figured it was because we aren't as strict as we used to be.

signature.jpg

Guest Energy11

I didn't know he was on Pheno! When Curfew was on it, ALL he wanted to do was EAT, eat , eat, eat, and drink! We weaned him off, and even though he is still "my walking stomach ..." it isn't like it was on the Phenobarb. More than likely, the food drive you are experiencing IS from the Pheno.

Hooray I'm not crazy! :yay

How old did you say he is. My vet has told me that when they start having seizures past about the age of 7 or 8, its usually a brain tumor. Gabby started having her seizures about 4 1/2...hers are very mild. Halo was 8 when he started having grand mal...he died right after his 9th birthday due to the seizures not stopping. He had only been on phenobarbital & I had him put on both phenobarbital & potassium bromide because he had seizures exactly 22 days apart. At the time of his death he had not had one in 44 days until that day & then even under sedation, he was having them. 

Someone really good to talk to about this would be jillysfullhouse.