Diabetes? Any Pointers?

One of my friends just found out her 10 yo weimeriner has diabetes and she is overwheled and devastated. I told her I would see what pointers or experience the good peeps of GT had and that I know she is not alone. The vet prescribed some supplements, one of them being CO Q 10, but there wasn't a doseage listed. She should be able to use people CO Q 10 right?

Thanks in advance. :)

Guest KennelMom

Quilty (13) is diabetic and she gets two insulin shots per day. I was nervous as h* ll in the beginning, but after a couple weeks, it was just old hat and part of our daily routine. Quilty only likes to get the shots in a certain area along the back of her neck so it was a little trial and error to learn the technique and where she'll tolerate it. She's learned when she gets them and she won't come back in the house until she gets her shot (and piece of cheese).

I get her insulin and needles from Costco and Target, respectively...just how we happened to drop of the RXs but I do need to consolidate them to one place. Anyhoo..the cost is about $35/month for the insulin and $18/month for the needles. That was at 10 units twice per day...we just had to increase her insulin to 13 units twice per day, so the cost will go up a bit. I haven't price shopped at all, so those might not be the cheapest prices around.

Her vet should go over the injection procedure with her until she feels confident with it. One note is that you should roll or *gently* shake the insulin bottle...it sometimes separates but vigorous shaking can damage the insulin. I just roll it back and forth in my hands to re-mix. Also, cold insulin can sting when going it, so I draw up Quilty's dose and just let it warm up in my palm for a minute or two.

We have urine test strips so we can monitor her urine to see if there is sugar in it (blood sugar too hight) or (God forbid) ketones. Sugar in the urine would indicate the insulin needs to be increased and ketones would be an emergency. I only test her urine if we've just adjusted her insulin or if I suspect she needs an adjustment...so that's not an 'all the time' thing. Of course, the ideal way to monitor is blood, just like with people, but that would involve buying a canine glucometer and learning how to draw blood...not something most pet owners want to do or something many vets would recommend or suggest. So, the urine strips are "good enough."

Quilty does go in for period glucose curves, where they measure her blood sugar all day. I drop her off in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon...

So, other than learning to give the insulin shot, Quilty being diabetic is really not a big deal. We don't give any other supplements, than a joint juice. A little bit more vet work perhaps and just be aware of what low (and high) blood sugar levels look like. With Quilty, I was just so relieved to have a treatable diagnosis I didn't have time to be worried! :P

Sending best wishes to your friend and her pupper!

Edited by KennelMom