Quick Question About Deramaxx

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Wilbur is taking one 75mg Deramaxx tablet nightly. We originally got the prescription when we thought Wilbur had arthritis. Once he broke his leg and had a negative reaction to Tramadol, the vet said to give him the Deramaxx. He has done great with it. However, he is so quiet and relaxed tonight, that I'm thinking about skipping his dosage. Good idea? Or should I give it to him to head off any pain he may have in the night?

Thank you in advance.

If he's tolerating the med with no problems, I'd continue it.

ETA: Because if he starts to get some inflammation again and have some pain, it'll take time to reduce that again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Adrianne

Great, thank you. I did give it to him.

I want to add, though, that Wilbur does not have arthritis. His xrays from the surgery showed joints that are completely clear of arthritis. So, the Deramaxx is being used now strictly for the broken leg.

If you start to see stomach problems with it, talk to the vet about halving his dose, and using carafate to sooth the gut.

We had Gunnar on Deramaxx for his arthritis. He did well for a few weeks, then started to develop stomach upset. We took him off for a couple days, and gave him pepcid. Then we started him back on it, and after a few days, we halved his dose (at the vet's suggestion), and he did well. We would have done carafate, if needed, but did not need to. That was about 5 or 6 years ago, though, so my memory is rusty about dosage.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Energy11

I have Deramaxx 75 mg here, and I am currently using it for Curfew's toe dislocation. I give 35mg, with a Pecid AC.,twice daily. This makes it easier on their stomachs, and to me, spreads out the pain relief. I also give it with plain yogurt. Good Luck!

He's probably quiet and relaxed because the Deramaxx is controlling his pain. I would keep him on it as long as he tolerates it well and as long as the vet recommends it.

We had Argus on it for a while after an injury (75 mg tablets) and it did wonders for him. We didn't notice any stomach upset.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg