Apollo Needs A Couple Things Biopsied

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

We've had Apollo since late September (we got him the day before we lost my sweet Crisco Roo, and 6 days after we lost silly Sly). Apollo's almost 10. Back in March, his adoption group (not our group) had 2 fatty cysts removed from his back. They had come back by the time we adopted him, but do not seem to have changed much since we've had him. However, that group's vet did not do any histopath on them. They just assumed they were fatty cysts. My vet would like to remove them again to be certain, particularly since the needle aspirate she did (and she tried 3 times) did not give her any good cells that she could look at. Don't know whether to be worried about this or not.

The next issue: He was at the vet with me and Whitey last week for Whitey's chemo, and the vet happened to notice that he has a growth on one side of his gums, on the lower jaw. It's not that big (roughly pea sized) and it is pink like his gums. But she said that one definitely needs to be biopsied. I've never had an oral growth in a dog before and have no idea how worried to be about this either.

Any advice is welcome. Hoping to get him in for this next week, although of course I am nervous about it. He's my scaredy old boy, but is super duper sweet.

Thanks!!

No advice, just good thoughts and prayers for Apollo and his mom.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Might want to have your vet consult with the vet who removed the fatty cysts -- sometimes when removed, it's so clear what they are that it isn't worth doing a biopsy.

The gum thing is very likely an epulis, just an overgrowth of ordinary gum tissue. It is best to remove and check it out, but that's what those things usually are.

Fingers crossed :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bigorangedog

Might want to have your vet consult with the vet who removed the fatty cysts -- sometimes when removed, it's so clear what they are that it isn't worth doing a biopsy.

The gum thing is very likely an epulis, just an overgrowth of ordinary gum tissue. It is best to remove and check it out, but that's what those things usually are.

Fingers crossed :) .

She called that vet but they kept such poor records it was impossible to tell what they had done/found. :angry:

Yes, she mentioned an epulis as well, so I am hoping that is what it is!!! With 5 dogs dying this year, and Whitey doing chemo now -- NO ONE else is allowed to be sick.

Jen