Broken Blood Vessels?!

This is my first winter...and first snow fall with my boy. We've been stuck inside with the 2ft of snow we got here in NJ....today the dog park was finally open and I (we) couldn't wait to get there...

Of course the field wasn't plowed...but it'd been trampled on some by other dogs. Nonetheless...Chance was running around like a lure was ahead of him....soooo cute to see. However, after 10 min of absolute bliss, Chance was by the gate ready to go. On our way out (and everyone saying..."You leaving already?!") I noticed Chances legs all "bloody" looking..but not bleeding at all.

Here are some pics...

Is snow too cold for their bare legs?

I feel like an awful mom for letting this happen...sad.gif but it just came out of the blue! I"ve seen so many greys on here play in the snow...is Chance just sensitive?

*** To offset some questions: no he didn't scuffle with any dogs, nor get scratched in the woods; he wasn't there long enough. Plus, this wasn't there before we went...however I've noticed these "unbleeding-bloody" areas before on his belly and legs...BUT not to this severity. I DO KNOW that their skin is fragile...just hoping it's nothing more.

(side note...I'm buying those booties....TALL booties for him!)

mms_picture-6.jpg

mms_picture-5.jpg

THX!!! :)

Guest EmilyandSioux

Thank you now I don't feel so bad. We live on 5 acres and Sioux comes inside all the time with bumps and bruises and I no idea where they come from. He cut is knew last week and I have no idea how. I use MediHoney on him and it works great. Also a spry for sunburn with lidocaine in it takes away some of the pain. These guys have really thin skin and play HARD.

Guest Energy11

These looks like bruises from hitting the hard, cold, packed snow. They should go away soon. I would keep your puppers out of the snow for now. UNFORTUNATELY, not a problem here ... just stinkin' rain! Good Luck!

Looks like bruises caused by compact snow. Might want to wait for the running until after some of the snow has melted.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I think his legs look worse in person....BUT phewww i feel better that he's gonna be ok.

I will certainly stay away from the snow for now .... and get that stuff the first poster mentioned to ease any discomfort he may have...although...he's fast asleep on the couch rolleyes.gif

THANK YOU for easing my mind...

Merry Christmas to you all....thx for the help!

Brianne

Guest RocketDog

My black and white boy comes in with little hematomas like that all the time after knocking in to stuff while running. Give 'em a day or two and they'll fade away - but be prepared for shocked faces if a non-grey person sees them, they do look gnarly!

Guest eaglflyt

We got over 14" of snow yesterday in Oklahoma ... with 50 mph winds. Ady Bea LOVED it! I was shocked since it was her first time in the snow (blizzard) with us. She was play bowing and biting at the snow on the way to her turnout area. Well, don't feel alone. She ran in the snow/sleet and looked to be having the time of her life. When she finally was ready to come in from her snow bunny activity, we noticed she was making red spots in the snow with her back right foot. We felt terrible, too! She cut her foot on the snow/ice while running. We're buying boots, too!

I think they love the snow so much ... and can run SO FAST ... couple that with thin skin and it makes them get injuries very easily.

We will all have booted doggies for winter weather soon!

Guest IrskasMom

I agree with Energie. The Top Layer of Snow is very hard frozen and is hard on their Feet/Legs. We been to the Park to and I go to the Area ,where the Sun shines on it and the Snow is soft.Rain now and the Snow will be gone shortly.

I agree with Energie. The Top Layer of Snow is very hard frozen and is hard on their Feet/Legs. We been to the Park to and I go to the Area ,where the Sun shines on it and the Snow is soft.Rain now and the Snow will be gone shortly.

Well...this is why I was so concerned. We got nothing but light, fluffy snow. It was DEEEEP....but not crusty and hard on top nor on the bottom. The other poster was right tho..it went away A LOT within a day...and it's gone now. I never thought that being he is white with ticking...that you'd see it more than on a darker skinned/coated hound. blush.gif I"m tring to rationalize it here lol....

Thx guys!

I glad it wasn't anything worse smile.gif

thumbs-up.gif thx! Me too! Chance is making me OCD with him...being he's my first grey (def not the last!!!!) I examine him every single day....any abnormality I figure out what it could be. Thx to GT, I don't "totally" freak out rolleyes.gif over EVERYTHING....

Guest RocketDog

Well...this is why I was so concerned. We got nothing but light, fluffy snow. It was DEEEEP....but not crusty and hard on top nor on the bottom. The other poster was right tho..it went away A LOT within a day...and it's gone now. I never thought that being he is white with ticking...that you'd see it more than on a darker skinned/coated hound. blush.gif I"m tring to rationalize it here lol....

Thx guys!

That's one of the 'drawbacks' of having a dog that is all or partially white, hehe! Everything shows up plain as day with their thin pink skin - although it does make for interesting 'anatomy' lessons when you can see the different colors of muscle, tendon and bone through the skin. Always get a kick out of that :lol