Pills--How To/

Guest amour

Guest 3greysinPA

I have been successful with PB and Cream Cheese... just hide it in the thick gooey PB and down the hatch. B)

I just make 'em open wide and stuff the pill down as far as my fingers go, then hold their mouth shut til they swallow. Once that's done they get the goodies ;)

yep... this too... and hold their snout closed and blow on the nose... it makes them swallow and then down it goes. ;)

Pill guns are helpful. ;) Shanti gets a lot of medicine daily. She no longer eats most of the goodies I hid it in. So far Velveeta is the bomb!!! I is smushy and wraps and sticks to the pills. Occasionally I have to shove them down, but mostly she will eat them. It is the only thing that has lasted in this house.

The Girls

Guest TaraCoachCougar

In the beginning, we'd just put pills in the wet kibble and they'd eat them just fine. Cougar would go after Coach's food since she was a slower eater so sometimes she would get her enalapril and diuretic inside of marshmallows. We'd just toss in the air and they would catch mid-air and swallow in one gulp. Of course, there was a session of several flying through the air and only 2 had the pills.

Then she got on tramadol and other nasty pills and I got comfortable just prying open her mouth and shoving them down.

With Cougar the ultimate food hound, he took his in kibble much longer. With all his problems and his temporary loss of appetite for kibble and marshmallows, we put in peanut butter, yogurt, meat, etc and all seemed to work for only a short time and then he wouldn't eat that food for a while even pill free. Again on nasty tramadol I eventually decided I would have to get comfortable shoving down his throat. He now takes 9 pills a day and I have to wear gloves for the 2 Leukeran pills so I figure I have to shove down so I will know for sure he takes and no one else gets exposed to them.

My technique is to start by inserting my pinkie in that little space behind the canines and gently prying open with both hands. My thumb and forefinger then shove the pills way in the back. Ocassionally a tramadol or gabapentin will get spit back out but I just retry and then they go on down.

One question - where exactly do I find liverwurst? Sounds like something I should try for Cougs since he sometimes gets picky with what he'll it. If it is worth eating pills for it probably would be very appealing on it's own anyway.

Guest LindsaySF

I think the trick is that no matter what you use (pill pocket or sandwich) you need to sometimes give one without a pill so they never know if it has a pill or not--they'll have to take a chance.

:nod:nod Especially if you give the other dogs treats at the same time, they want the treat even more.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank takes daily meds and we use PB, or a piece of dog jerky (Bit-o-luv from Oberto)folded in half with the pill stuck in the fold. Frank is pretty good about not spitting his pills out, and once in a while he will still just eat the pills from my hand.

I think one of the most important things to remember is to approach your pup with a calm, confident demeanor when doing anything that might strike them as unpleasant; otherwise they will pick up on your emotions and it will make the task that much harder...