Hip Problems

Guest Sherry

Has anyone ever had a problem with a hip in a Greyhound? I don't mean dysplasia so much as perhaps a dislocation or break. Is this something that Grey's are prone to?

By and large, greyhounds have remarkably good hips. Part of this is that they are bred for performance more than appearance to meet any given standard; they don't make it through generations of rigorous racing and selection by having crummy hips.

With age, some will develop lumbosacral stenosis, which is readily managed through regular injections:

http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm

The only greyhound I know of firsthand with bad hips was due to a car accident: $5,000 and a lesson as to why one should pay attention when your greyhound is trying to learn how to manipulate doorknobs with their mouth.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Very interesting. My guy is only 4 1/2, but this certainly describes a good deal of what has been going on with. I was actually starting to wonder if he broke his hip or pelvis (he had a bad fall down the stairs). The vet initially thought neurologic, like described in the article, due to his wobbliness, but as time passes, we can really see hm favouring his back leg and it looks like his hip is causing him a good deal of pain. X-rays this week and we will take it from there, but I will definitely go in armed with this article. Thank you very much!!!

My Beau has hip issues and IF Greyhounds were susceptible to it, it would be what he has if that makes any sense.

It's not hip dysplasia but his hips are misalligned. They were checked out (by -xray) by Dr. Dyce at OSU, Dr Couto and our vets who said exactly what OSU said. "weird".

No real diagnosis-

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project