Sam Has Diarrhea

Sam is 9 and a half. He was fine this morning, but tonight he has severe diarrhea. Output is absolutely liquid--and has been half a dozen times this evening.

He ate a normal dinner (before I realized he was sick). I've given him an Imodium, but he threw up a bit a little while ago, so I'm not sure the Imodium stayed with him. He's drinking normally, and he's not dehydrated. (Gums are fine, and his skin passes the pinch-test.) He has drooled a little, and he sometimes gets a suddenly panicked look on his face when he realizes he needs to go out. Fast.

I have some Tylan powder left from an earlier problem he had (a few months ago). Is it okay to give him that? And would it help? I was thinking I'd fix some rice and give him a bit before bedtime. I could give him the Tylan then.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest mcsheltie

Sam is 9 and a half. He was fine this morning, but tonight he has severe diarrhea. Output is absolutely liquid--and has been half a dozen times this evening.

He ate a normal dinner (before I realized he was sick). I've given him an Imodium, but he threw up a bit a little while ago, so I'm not sure the Imodium stayed with him. He's drinking normally, and he's not dehydrated. (Gums are fine, and his skin passes the pinch-test.) He has drooled a little, and he sometimes gets a suddenly panicked look on his face when he realizes he needs to go out. Fast.

I have some Tylan powder left from an earlier problem he had (a few months ago). Is it okay to give him that? And would it help? I was thinking I'd fix some rice and give him a bit before bedtime. I could give him the Tylan then.

We had a virus go through last week. And I have been reading about dogs on this list and others with the same symptoms. If your dog does have this virus nothing you do will make a difference. It runs it's course in about three days. With all of our dogs we had no fever, they kept drinking and 99% were hungry. I fasted all of them so they weren't pooping their brains out and could sleep thru the night. They got over it as suddenly as it started. All I can advise is in the meantime keep them off the carpet!

I wouldn't feed him anything tonight. Just make sure he has access to all the fresh water he wants. No sense in adding more food to an already irritated digestive system.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin