Need Advice: Vomiting, Not Eating

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

I'm looking for advice or hopefully reassurance. Normally I would take Zuki to the vet for this, but today I have some important meetings and have to be there, so can't take Zuki to the vet. Yesterday morning he ate most of his breakfast (raw fed), but only half of the duck neck. He always eats everything, so I was a little concerned. But otherwise he was fine, his usual bouncy self. He refused dinner last night. I did get him to eat a few cookies, which he vomitted about 5 hours later. This morning he refuses food. He doesn't have a fever but his nose is dry. I don't know what's wrong, but suspect he might have eaten something in the park on Sunday. He went off into some trees and scrub after a rabbit and he was in there for a while, kept skitting away from me when I tried to get him, and it took me a while to get him back onleash. It's possible he found something in there and ate it (but he didn't catch the rabbit). If he did eat something that's making him sick, does he need to get to the vet today for some antibiotics or treatment? Or could we wait until tomorrow?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give :)

Any D?

Is he drinking ok- well-hydrated, etc.? Color of the gums good? Temperature good?

If anything else is out of whack, a vet visit would probably be in order, but being off their food for a bit wouldn't be unusual if they got into something- and if it's not malice (poisoning)- it's just going to have to run its course.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest grey_dreams

Any D?

Is he drinking ok- well-hydrated, etc.? Color of the gums good? Temperature good?

If anything else is out of whack, a vet visit would probably be in order, but being off their food for a bit wouldn't be unusual if they got into something- and if it's not malice (poisoning)- it's just going to have to run its course.

Thanks ahicks.

Zuki just threw up again :( Pure dark yellow bile. It's been 24 hours since he had real food.

Color of gums is good. No temp and his nose is still dry, but when I just felt it it was cold and dry. Before it was warm and dry.

Are there signs I could look for to determine if it is poisoning, versus just being off after eating something nasty?

Guest grey_dreams

No D. Got up with a (muted) tail wag for his walk in the park. Walked, alert, reacting to a dog he doesn't like, everything normal but muted. So hopefully he's just off and not poisoned. If he's still sick tonight I will take him to the e-vet.

Guest grey_dreams

Zuki just threw up again, pure yellow bile, a lot more than the first time today :(

I'm so worried.

Thinking about skipping my meetings, but that's really impossible :(

:(

Guest IrskasMom

The yellow Bile is normal for an upset Stomach. The not eating is ok as long it does not go on for another Day.Mine has done that to. A Pepsid Pill might do it if you have that available.

Hope things clear up and Zuki will be fine :):) :)

Guest KennelMom

I would probably want him to be seen as quickly as you could get him to the vet...perhaps the vet will let you drop him off in the morning and pick him up later? Keep an eye on his hydration levels and gum color. If his gums become pale or he has any belly tenderness he definitely needs to be seen. Sounds like he ate something his body is trying to get rid of...if it's already past his stomach, hopefully it comes out the other end without incident.

Guest grey_dreams

A friend came over about 6 pm. I got home from the meetings at 8 pm. Zuki threw up twice more during the day, but when I came home he greeted me with the usual helicopter tail, butt-dance and kisses. My friend gave him some tuna at 6 pm and he ate it! I fed him dinner and he ate half the normal amount, then I gave him some more tuna and he ate that too. He hasn't vomited again, and it's been 5 hours since the first tuna and 2 hours since the dinner. I'm still watching him close, but hope that he's over the worst.

Guest BlackandBrindle

It could have been just a bug or he could have gotten something in the park.

Glad he seems to be on the mend.

If he's still vomiting tomorrow I'd probably take him in.

Glad he seems better. Agree with others, if he vomits again he should be seen, but it's good he's feeling bright and keeping some food down!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

It could have been just a bug or he could have gotten something in the park.

Glad he seems to be on the mend.

If he's still vomiting tomorrow I'd probably take him in.

Thanks Mary Jo! Glad to report that he slept very soundly, very deeply, all night long! Ate breakfast this morning too (except I didn't give the duck neck, starting him back a bit slowly), and everything seems fine. Sooooo relieved!

I'm pretty sure it was something he grabbed at the park. There can be some nasty things there from time to time. I mean, sorry to be so gross and graphic, but I've seen Zuki find a pile of BIG D and gleefully prepare to chow down :eek It's not like he eats all feces he finds, either. He's actually very selective! I think it has to have a certain aroma and consistency, and boy then he's in heaven. Yikes!!!

Glad he seems better. Agree with others, if he vomits again he should be seen, but it's good he's feeling bright and keeping some food down!

Thanks Jey! I think he's definitely feeling better and all the food is staying down. Still watching him though. His belly isn't tender, but he hasn't had a BM since Monday night after he stopped eating. Hoping the food from last night and this morning processes quickly so I know everything's ok.

Oh, and ....

Can anyone please tell me why on earth do they eat such nasty stuff????

:huh:unsure:rolleyes: