Does The Lure Increase Prey Drive?

Does the lure make a dog less safe with small animals?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does chasing a lure make a grey more likely to chase or kill a small animal?

• No, dogs can distinguish a stuffed toy from a live animal
    • Not usually. If your dog is fine with cats/small dogs, he/she will be able to chase a lure and still be fine.
    • Maybe. It might not increase prey drive, but it sure won't decrease it.
    • Probably. They might get more excited to chase small furry things than they were before.
    • Yes! Letting your grey chase a stuffed toy on a lure or lure pole is going to make them chase cats, evne if they didn't before

My breeder said that in the past she has live coursed some of her hounds. After the chase they would go home and snuggle with her indoor cats. Indoor vs outdoor makes a huge difference. And whether it runs away.

Maybe people also shouldn't drive cars down the street because they are knowingly putting outdoor cats at risk of being run over? I mean, just ridiculous. They are accepting all sorts of risks by allowing their cats to go outside... cars, dogs, coyotes, eagles in some areas, disease, injury....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Lillypad

I use a lure pole often. We have a cat. They get along great. I did not read all the posts, so this may have been addressed already. If one is using the lure pole correctly, it is a great training tool as well as a toy. It can teach many commands, release, down, stay, wait and proceed, These are all self-control behaviors that will benefit your dog. Which in turn gives you an advantage should your dog decide to run, chase and tackle down a small animal.

This topic brings to mind the misconception that feeding a raw diet, will create a blood thristy animal. Once again it is proper training, My dog will allow anyone to take her raw food from her (including the cat, oh the humiliation in that) we simply used trade up techinques, in her mind, releasing her food, gets rewarded, it is a win - win. LOL - I love this dog!!!