Jet Has An Ouchy Nail

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Jet's been a bit gimpy for the last couple days, and licking his foot a lot, but when we got up this morning he wasn't putting his back left foot down much at all. Today while I was at work Hubby checked him out, and it looks like he tried to break/pull out a nail and missed. He says it's puffy around the base of the nail, sort of bruise-y looking, painful to be wiggled, and oozing blood now and then out the tip, which is also raggedly broken.

He's walking on it more now (he did the Mom's home! dance without too much problem), but it's still obviously ouchy. I got epsom salts, and we'll soak it later tonight. Other than that and keeping an eye on it, is there something else we should be doing? Is this worth a vet visit? (If it were my thumb nail, it wouldn't be.) Will it eventually fall off? (iow, do we need to watch for him snagging a loose edge and yanking it the rest of the way off)

So far we've been really lucky with nails and have never had any problems, so we've never dealt with this before. But you know it hurts when Jet won't go up the stairs so he can properly supervise Hubby when he's working. :(

Edited by FireHorse

Guest Energy11

This is from our first aid seminar at Mt. Hounds. Hope it helps. Poor Jet! Hope he feels better.

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

Guest bigorangedog

Poor guy. :-(

If you wrap it, make sure to change the wrap often, because if it gets moist in there, bacteria will grow. I like to use Neo-predef powder on foot injuries, but most people won't have this on hand (you get it from the vet).

If you don't have a bootie, a good thing to cover it with to go outside is Press-n-Seal wrap. Stays on better than a plastic baggie.

I don't think it's worth a vet visit unless it looks like it might be getting infected.

Poor guy! Does it look like he snagged it on something or does it look brittle? If it looks brittle and yucky, you might want to take him to the vet to have him tested for SLO.

Epsom salts will make it feel better and make sure to keep it dry in between soaks so no bacteria can grow.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

If you can -- might want to muzzle pup first -- take a really good look at the base of the toenail and make sure there's no foreign material in there. Probably isn't -- sounds like he just caught it on something or whacked his foot on a rock/concrete step perhaps -- but best to make sure.

Otherwise, yep, Epsom salts or Nolvasan solution, allow to dry, baby sock to protect it and keep it a little cleaner. Keep an eye on it that it doesn't get infected. If you're good with a bandage you might make him one with a padded sole so that nail isn't whacking into the ground at every step; it'll heal a little faster that way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greensleeves

Jade once had an infected nail bed (on a rear dew claw). For several weeks the nail bed itself was enlarged; then it became inflamed and she started licking it, so off to the vet we went. It took a long course of antibiotics to clear it up.

So... may be worth a professional check if it doesn't seem to improve.

Guest FireHorse

This morning Jet's sock was oozy/bloody, so Hubby took him to see Dr C while I was at work. She ended up sedating him, irrigating everything, and clipping thenail really short to take the pressure off. He came home with a big green bandage (and a nifty IV bag rain boot for outside trips) and is currently feeling very put upon. She also gave him Rimadyl, and amoxicillin, mostly just in case. He goes back Monday for a recheck.

Thanks, all, for the advice!