Red Raspberry Seed Powder

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Long before I had Greyhounds I've been adding red raspberry seed powder to my dog's food. I wanted to add antioxidants to their diet. But didn't want to cause a toxicity with a vitamin/mineral supplement. The other day I was ordering more and saw that the product description had been changed to include the info on cancer. So I started surfing around, reading the studies on red raspberry seed powder.

I thought it was something that should be shared. This web site is selling a product - link - but the info does sum it up well. And from my research Organic Meeker Seeds are good. I use Monica Segal's supplements whenever possible because she has indepenant assays run on each supplement and only sells top quality products.

Anyway... I learned that RR seed powder is higher in ellagitannins than the fruit itself (fresh or powdered). And that with the seed powder you get ellagitannin complex. Which is what to look for, not synthesized ellagic acid, which is not bio-avalable.

Perhaps this would be a good addition to the GH diet.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful information. I think I may have seen the benefits of this on www.naturalrearing.com website where I buy a lot of Brandi's supplements. I will definitely check out the site you are referring to and thanks again. What a great wealth of information from our GT family.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Not too long ago someone started a thread about antioxidants and wanted to know if anyone gave their greys them. Hope that GT person sees this thread.

There is a great book called The Complete Herbal Handbook For The Dog and The Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy and she certainly believed in red rashberry. Juliette raised another type of sighthound, afghans and her dogs lived a very long life. Worth reading.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest wmlcml6

I give Red Raspberry capsules to all our mama dogs one month into the pregnancy. I also take them myself. They are great for a healthy reproductive system, and especially for reducing bleeding and cramping. I am so glad to know it's a good antioxidant as well.

Guest dobiegrey

My girl has a very sensitive tummy and is on a special diet, she does love fruit and it does not seem to upset her tummy, does anyone have experience with this and sensitive tummys? I would do anything I can to help my babies fight off the big C.

Lou

Guest mcsheltie
My girl has a very sensitive tummy and is on a special diet, she does love fruit and it does not seem to upset her tummy, does anyone have experience with this and sensitive tummys? I would do anything I can to help my babies fight off the big C.

Lou

What sets off sensitive dogs varies so much. I have a Sheltie that gets the BIG D from almost anything. He has no problem with it (Monica Segal's). He gets 1/4 teaspoon. The Greys get 1/2 teaspoon, so it isn't much. Try it and see. If it doesn't work for you I'd buy the rest of it from you, so you aren't wasting your money.

Guest houndhome

Tigger's oncologist recommends CAS Options, a wholistic anti-oxidant type treatment for his cancer. While he is undergoing chemo and radiation for his lymphoma, I do notice that he seems to get stronger on days he takes his CAS Options (if he is taking anti-nausea or other oral meds, I don't give the CAS Options). I think that any dog can take it, and it is sold over the counter. It smells like a vitamin, which it is, and he likes it. He doesn't seem to have any digestive issues with it. It is pricey, but I think it has been worth it.

Guest dobiegrey

Lou

What sets off sensitive dogs varies so much. I have a Sheltie that gets the BIG D from almost anything. He has no problem with it (Monica Segal's). He gets 1/4 teaspoon. The Greys get 1/2 teaspoon, so it isn't much. Try it and see. If it doesn't work for you I'd buy the rest of it from you, so you aren't wasting your money.

Thanks, that sounds great!!! Sure HOPE it works!

Lou

Guest mcsheltie
Tigger's oncologist recommends CAS Options, a wholistic anti-oxidant type treatment for his cancer. While he is undergoing chemo and radiation for his lymphoma, I do notice that he seems to get stronger on days he takes his CAS Options (if he is taking anti-nausea or other oral meds, I don't give the CAS Options). I think that any dog can take it, and it is sold over the counter. It smells like a vitamin, which it is, and he likes it. He doesn't seem to have any digestive issues with it. It is pricey, but I think it has been worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've read about the benefits of mushrooms. Especially with cancer. I'm book marking this and hoping like he77 I don't need it.

Guest got2now
Tigger's oncologist recommends CAS Options, a wholistic anti-oxidant type treatment for his cancer. It is pricey, but I think it has been worth it.

Certain mushrooms and green tea supposedly protect and fight cancer in humans, so it's good to hear that mushrooms are recommended for dogs. I am interested in supplementing my guys' food for prevention purposes but am unsure of the concentrations and varieties to use. The CAS Options that were mentioned have (among other things): Reishi Mushroom...578mg, Shiitake Mushroom...446mg, Green Tea Powder...105mg, Maitake Mushroom...95mg. They are expensive though. I did find some other supplements that weren't as pricey at http://www.iherb.com/Mushroom-Combinations, but they're not as strong. Does anyone know what the recommendations are for varieties and potencies? Or for the red raspberry powder? Anything that might help prevent the big C is good with me!Thanks for bringing this topic up. :yay :yay :yay

Edited by got2now

Guest mcsheltie
Certain mushrooms and green tea supposedly protect and fight cancer in humans, so it's good to hear that mushrooms are recommended for dogs. I am interested in supplementing my guys' food for prevention purposes but am unsure of the concentrations and varieties to use. The CAS Options that were mentioned have (among other things): Reishi Mushroom...578mg, Shiitake Mushroom...446mg, Green Tea Powder...105mg, Maitake Mushroom...95mg. They are expensive though. I did find some other supplements that weren't as pricey at http://www.iherb.com/Mushroom-Combinations, but they're not as strong. Does anyone know what the recommendations are for varieties and potencies? Or for the red raspberry powder? Anything that might help prevent the big C is good with me!Thanks for bringing this topic up. :yay :yay :yay

I've only read a little about mushrooms in my travels. I don't know if they work prophylactically. The cancers we have dealt with came on so fast there was nothing we could do. CAS Options was recommended by houndhome's oncologist. I'll take that!

You want to make sure you get powdered raspberry seeds. Raspberry leaves are an herb and used for female reproduction. I've also read that the leaves are used to treat diarrhea... hmmm... Greyhounds... diarrhea... maybe something to look into too!... anyway back to raspberry seeds.

Check products out on the internet. The product I use from Monica Segal is 1/2 to 3/4 tsp daily. I give mine 1/2 tsp, they are all 60 lbs or under. Meeker Organic is also a good product.

Low price on supplements sometimes backfires. Lower priced may not be as bio-avalable or may not contain what is claimed on the label. I call companies and ask about their quality control and testing since supplements aren't regulated.

A lot of supplements for dogs, especially vitamins really don't do much good because the potency is to low. For instance I found a fish oil that made a big ta-do about having CoQ10 in it. Great! But it only had 1 mg CoQ10. Whoopee :angry: . Dog dose is 30 mg/20 lbs. I've been told to use human products when possible and dose according to weight. By "when possible" I mean I research and make sure nothing is toxic to dogs. Then you have to double check to make sure it is safe for Greyhounds!

Guest dobiegrey

Ok girlfriend! I have ordered it and I am going to give it to both my Betty (Greyhound) and Jack (Doberman) and I pray that it keeps the big C at bay for years to come! Thanks for the info

Lou

Guest got2now
Low price on supplements sometimes backfires. Lower priced may not be as bio-avalable or may not contain what is claimed on the label. I call companies and ask about their quality control and testing since supplements aren't regulated. A lot of supplements for dogs, especially vitamins really don't do much good because the potency is to low. For instance I found a fish oil that made a big ta-do about having CoQ10 in it. Great! But it only had 1 mg CoQ10. Whoopee :angry: . Dog dose is 30 mg/20 lbs. I've been told to use human products when possible and dose according to weight. By "when possible" I mean I research and make sure nothing is toxic to dogs. Then you have to double check to make sure it is safe for Greyhounds!

Thanks for the greyt info. You are right about the low price, that you get what you pay for. Mushrooms and green tea are said to be a preventative supplement as well as a treatment in people, so I am just assuming (and hoping) the same is true for dogs. Speaking of fish oil, I've read some about the importance of the EPA /DHA ratio as an anti-cancer measure in humans. Do you know if the same ratio is true for dogs? I have been giving my guys 3V "Snippets", a high potency fish oil that was, up until a month ago, sold by our vet. They had some problem and stopped making it, so I've been trying to find a substitute but keep wondering what the EPA/DHA ratio should be. The Snippets have 540 EPA and 350 DHA. In humans, the ratio is controversial, but mostly I've read that you need at least 4:1 (E/D). Anybody have any idea what the best ratio is for dogs in preventing/treating cancer? Great thread!

Guest mcsheltie
Speaking of fish oil, I've read some about the importance of the EPA /DHA ratio as an anti-cancer measure in humans. Do you know if the same ratio is true for dogs? I have been giving my guys 3V "Snippets", a high potency fish oil that was, up until a month ago, sold by our vet. They had some problem and stopped making it, so I've been trying to find a substitute but keep wondering what the EPA/DHA ratio should be. The Snippets have 540 EPA and 350 DHA. In humans, the ratio is controversial, but mostly I've read that you need at least 4:1 (E/D). Anybody have any idea what the best ratio is for dogs in preventing/treating cancer? Great thread!

I haven't read anything about the ratio. All the cancer studies I've read have verbage such as eating dark fatty fish once a week decreases the risk of cancer by 36%, if that wasn't possible take fish oil supplements. I haven't run into any research on the ratio. I'd like to read it. Can you send a link? Fish oils naturally have more EPA than DHA. The fish oil I am currently using is 360/240 per capsule and most of the products I checked out before buying were close to the same ratio. To change the ratio naturally found in fish, humans would have to tinker with it.