Am I An Over-worried Mama?

Guest RobinAZ

Guest RobinAZ

I've had GreyCee since Friday afternoon. She's been doing great! But last night she seemed like she didn't feel real good, although I was thinking maybe she was just tired. But this morning she wouldn't eat her breakfast and just went back to bed. She doesn't have a fever or anything, eyes are bright. I waited awhile and got her to eat a little piece of meat, and then she did eat almost all her food but then she went right back to her bed. I am comparing this to yesterday morning when she was playing like a maniac. If it were one of my other dogs I wouldn't worry - I know they have days sometimes where they just don't feel good. But since GreyCee is so new to me I'm worried. I don't think she needs to go to the vet, it's not that bad. Wondering if maybe she's depressed? Any thoughts?....

Guest Energy11

Might just be the adjustment to her new home and surroundings. If she is eating, urinating and pooping okay, I'd just give her a few days.

Remember, everything is new to her, and it has only been three days. Good Luck, and congratulations on your new baby!

Guest Energy11
Thank you. That's kind of what I thought too, but I love her so much I can't help but worry. I even called in sick to stay home with her :blush

Wow! You called in sick to be with her! I have done that in the past myself!

We are retired now, and ours are never alone :-)) I am sure she will LOVE having you home with her!

Guest RobinAZ

Hahaha - I was just worried. So yeah, called in sick. If I had gone in I would have worried all day about her. Wish I was retired too. A few more years to go....

As long as she's eating etc., she's probably just fine. You can't really judge what's normal for her behaviorally after just a few days -- she's still settling in. Remember that settled-in greyhounds sleep almost all. the. time. at home. And I know if my girl has a good play or running session at some point in the day she'll be in a near coma for hours afterwards; I often need to bribe her off the bed with hotdog bits or yogurt to get her up for the last pee call of the night!

It's sweet that you stayed home with her . . . I would want to too, just to be with my new baby. Have you had a chance to work through the step by step process of much "alone training" yet? Since she's presumably fine, that would be a great thing to focus on today, so she's as ready as possible for extended absences tomorrow and after.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest RobinAZ
As long as she's eating etc., she's probably just fine. You can't really judge what's normal for her behaviorally after just a few days -- she's still settling in. Remember that settled-in greyhounds sleep almost all. the. time. at home. And I know if my girl has a good play or running session at some point in the day she'll be in a near coma for hours afterwards; I often need to bribe her off the bed with hotdog bits or yogurt to get her up for the last pee call of the night!

It's sweet that you stayed home with her . . . I would want to too, just to be with my new baby. Have you had a chance to work through the step by step process of much "alone training" yet? Since she's presumably fine, that would be a great thing to focus on today, so she's as ready as possible for extended absences tomorrow and after.

What is the "alone training"? She has been alone a few times when we went out. She has the other 2 dogs for company and she seemed to be fine. Let me know what training you are referring to and I can get on it today :)

"Alone training" is described extensively in Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies , and I know on lots of past threads here. Basically it's working on leaving the dog alone step by step, building up from very short increments to longer periods. Quite a few greys can suffer from separation anxiety, though so far you seem OK. Is GreyCee crated when you go out? Separated from your other dogs in some way? I'm not an expert on this, being a relatively new owner with just one dog who never had SA, but I know that it would be very risky to leave her loose with other dogs and go off to work for eight hours and assume she (and your house!) will be OK when you return. I'm sure others will chime in and explain more.

Guest RobinAZ
"Alone training" is described extensively in Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies , and I know on lots of past threads here. Basically it's working on leaving the dog alone step by step, building up from very short increments to longer periods. Quite a few greys can suffer from separation anxiety, though so far you seem OK. Is GreyCee crated when you go out? Separated from your other dogs in some way? I'm not an expert on this, being a relatively new owner with just one dog who never had SA, but I know that it would be very risky to leave her loose with other dogs and go off to work for eight hours and assume she (and your house!) will be OK when you return. I'm sure others will chime in and explain more.

The couple times we've gone out I've left her un-crated. I do have a large crate I used with my retreiver-mix but haven't kenneled GreyCee yet. I have noticed, when exploring, she will chew on something to see what it is, so I've moved everything out of her way for now. I planned on coming home at lunch to check on her. And hubby is home before me. So the longest she'd be without one of us home checking would be about 3.5 hours. Maybe I should crate her.

Guest Greensleeves

Alone training is nowhere near as crucial if the dog isn't actually, you know, *alone.* :D Since it sounds like she has some canine companions there to show her the ropes and keep her company, she's going to feel a lot more comfortable than if she was absolutely alone in the house by herself. At this point, I wouldn't necessarily crate her until there's a problem, but you might consider blocking off all but a few rooms in your house, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck! As others will tell you, she'll keep surprising you with new peeks at her personality for *months.* Seriously months.

If you are going to crate, then work on getting her used to it today -- throw treats in, let her go in and out, put her in for a minute or so with a stuffed Kong to keep her busy then let her out before she's done, gradually build up to leaving her in the crate. Some dogs don't like being in the crate (although all greyhounds are used to it from the track), plenty do. It's definitely not safe to just stick her in the crate tomorrow morning and leave for several hours -- she could really hurt herself if she were to freak out. Anyway, whatever you're going to do, I think you really ought to make a plan and practice it as much as possible today.

Here's some useful information: http://www.goldengreyhounds.com/about/training.htm

I'd really recommend the Greyhounds for Dummies book ... most adoption groups require reading this, or Cynthia Branigan's Adopting the Retired Racing Greyhound, as a condition of adopting.... I also really like Patricia McDonnell's I'll Be Home Soon, about strategies for getting a dog adjusted to being alone.

Guest RobinAZ

Thank you everyone! I just love you all! Everyone is so helpful and friendly. I tried to get her in the crate for a bit but she totally balked and I didn't want to force her. She seems to be doing well enough without it, and she follows the other dogs around. Like when they run out back barking she's right with them (but she doesn't bark..yay!). She has really integrated well into the group. She's a good girl. Think I need to feed her in the bedroom though - maybe that's why she wouldn't eat this morning. I was putting her out with the others, only in a different part of the kitchen. Maybe she was uncomfortable. I am learning.

Start as you mean to go on. If you want her to eat with the others, then that's where he should learn to eat. It's really hard, but she won't starve to death if she misses a meal or two. Put the food down, wait a set amount of time, pick up the food. Give it to her for the next meal, same set up. She'll learn. Monitor the feeding times until you know how she and the other two dogs are going to interact - an so nobody gets two or three dinners!

It sounds like she doesn't have any problem being left by her people. Most greys are fine as long as they have companions. Though closing off parts of the house might be a good idea if she's a chewer. If she does start destructive chewing just put her muzzle on when you go. She'll be fine. I have four and we've never crated any of them at any time with no problems.

Good luck! She's a cutie pie!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest dobiegrey

Hi Robin,

Betty was my first Greyhound and compared to the manic Doberman I thought she was sick for the first 4 months I had her!!!! She was so much calmer and laid around on one of the beds all the time, I worried that she was breathing too fast, or too slow etc. etc. etc........worry worry worry....but once we were both all settled in I have been able to relax and not worry quite so much. Betty had a little bit of trouble settling into the feeding schedule around here which is more than once a day and the first thing in the morning she would not eat right away, but now she is right with the schedule and looking for food when ever it is eating time. I know how scary it is right at the beginning when you are not use to Greyhounds, do you have other Greys? Hang tough, we have all been there at one time or another. But remember we are Moms and worry is part of our DNA! I don't like to call it worry, I call it being "pro-active"!!

Lou

I wouldn't worry. She is probably tired out with all the excitement and still settling in and sorting out the routine of her new lifestyle. Neither would I bother with a crate especially if she isn't happy with it. If she has no real problems for herself or you with being loose in the house, then I'd be happy about that and let her enjoy the freedom.

Sue from England

In theory with the time change she should be an hour ahead of schedule, but I wouldn't discount it as a reason for her being off-schedule.

I have not crated my new hounds if they've been doing well at home for several days-a week before I have to leave them, and like you, I am usually gone for about 4 hours only for work.

Even though there are other dogs around her, she may react to missing *you*. Or she may not. I agree that your leaving the house for very short periods of time today, working up in length, would be a good thing. When I am doing this, my first journeys are no further than the front yard of my house!

Edited by SusanP

Guest RobinAZ

Thanks for all the responses. GreyCee is doing great. Today she was alone from about 7:30 till lunch time. And she was fine and nothing in the house was chewed. I went back to work at 12:30 and hubby gets home at 4:00 and still everything was fine. She seems to be pretty laid back other than that one episode of crazy play..haha!! She's getting the hang of the feeding schedule too and is eating in the kitchen with the other dogs, with either me or Rob standing by to watch. This is my first grey - my other dogs are a golden retriever mix, a Australian cattle dog mix (he's the problem child), and a little pomeranian. All are rescues.