Severe Scratching On Leg

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

This morning before leaving for work I went to pet William. Earlier while I was getting ready I did see he was sitting and scratching his front right leg with his back right leg, and I didn't think much of it-- just an itch.

When I was heading out, I realized that on the outside/towards the back of his leg there were 3 small patches where he was scratching, one actually had some clear liquid coming out of it (like if you pop a blister...) so I put some bactine on it and some dabs of Neosporin.

This is the same leg he had surgery on a few weeks ago, so he's still wearing a cone to keep him away from the stitches (which are on the front of his leg) while we're not at home. The cone can't really keep him from scratching though. I thought of wrapping it with vet wrap, but he would probably just scratch it right off.

He is going to the vet Thursday to get the stitches taken out, so while I'm there I'll also ask them about that, but is there anything I can do until then? My first thought was anti-itch cream, but that probably isn't designed for dogs. Is there any product for dogs that does the same thing? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Maybe you could wrap up the foot he's using to scratch? So his toenails aren't damaging the skin when he does scratch.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Cortaid cream or similar is fine for dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I was thinknig the same thing. I'd keep the antibacterial ointment on it, just in case, and wrap it ... maybe put a large non-stick pad over it, and use, either Kling (conforming stretch gauze), or vet wrap. Just be careful not to wrap too tightly, as it will cut off the circulation.

Might just itch from the healing. If you've ever had a cut, etc., you know how it itches as it heals? Might just be that, but you don't want him irritating it and causing infection.

Good Luck. Not sure if you can use Benedryl cream on it, but you could always give the vet a call. If so, you'd want it wrapped so he couldn't lick it off.

My advice would be to use some child safe anti-itch cream on the leg, and also wrap his back foot so the nails don't scratch too hard. You can use a baby sock over his foot, then tape the top of the sock so it doesn't slip off. Of course this is easier said than done since Fenway rips them off every time. But maybe with his cone he won't be able to chew his foot to get the sock off. Call later if you need to. Poor buddy!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)