Fasting Before Surgery - Question

Hi all -- if a dog is just going under local anesthesia and not "going under" - why would they have to fast the night before? I've had two surgeries myself and was always told to fast for fear of, well, vomiting while under which can cause choking since there is a tube down your throat.

So if a dog is going to be sedated with Xanax to relax, and then given a local anesthesia to take a punch biopsy (we found an ugly spot between our girl's toes) - then why would she have to fast? I've already told my vet that I'll only have her go "under" as a very last resort (due to her advanced age) and she has successfully had spots removed with light Xanax sedation & local before...just wondering why I have to fast her when she already has eating issues?

Any thoughts?

Guest Energy11

Usually because of any nausea that might be caused by any type of anesthetic. They don't want the dog vomiting while under. Just a better safe than sorry thing. Good Luck!

I believe it's for the same reason. Even with sedation they can have issues with the medication.

Yep.

And just in case they do have to put her under.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom
I believe it's for the same reason. Even with sedation they can have issues with the medication.

Yep.

And just in case they do have to put her under.

That would be my guess.