The Big D

greytluck

So last Tuesday I made the dumb mistake of giving both dogs the liquids and skin from a can of salmon I had opened. By the next day both dogs were sick. I fasted them both for 24 hours and gave them rice and ground beef for a couple days after that. Hobbes improved almost immediately Wally improved much slower and is still rather loose (not formed at all but still able to be picked up). They are both eating their normal kibble again but have had absolutely nothing else not even treats. Today I got home to another huge liquidy mess on our carpet, and I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it was Hobbes again. I think this only because when I took them out Wally did go poo but it was the same as it has been, not great but still better then what was in the house. Hobbes didn't go again outside, but he looked awful guilty when I was cleaning the mess up.

What else can I do? Should I take them to the vets at this point? Is it normal that Hobbes would become sick again after clearing up for a while and should Wally have improved more by now? Sorry about all the questions I just feel like I did everything normally suggested but I'm still dealing with this in both dogs.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Energy11

Hard to say.... the Salmon was obviously too rich for their tummies! I cannot give Cari ANYTHING wish Fish Oil in it, as she gets the watery D. I'd just give it another day or two... feed bland foods, be sure they are getting lots of water, and go from there.

Good Luck! I hate all seafood, and I mean all, so I can totally understand this :-))

Guest Energy11
So last Tuesday I made the dumb mistake of giving both dogs the liquids and skin from a can of salmon I had opened. By the next day both dogs were sick. I fasted them both for 24 hours and gave them rice and ground beef for a couple days after that. Hobbes improved almost immediately Wally improved much slower and is still rather loose (not formed at all but still able to be picked up). They are both eating their normal kibble again but have had absolutely nothing else not even treats. Today I got home to another huge liquidy mess on our carpet, and I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it was Hobbes again. I think this only because when I took them out Wally did go poo but it was the same as it has been, not great but still better then what was in the house. Hobbes didn't go again outside, but he looked awful guilty when I was cleaning the mess up.

What else can I do? Should I take them to the vets at this point? Is it normal that Hobbes would become sick again after clearing up for a while and should Wally have improved more by now? Sorry about all the questions I just feel like I did everything normally suggested but I'm still dealing with this in both dogs.

Also could be this "stomach thing" going around. I have no idea what it is, but a lot of friends' greys have it ... The Big D, vomiting, etc. ????? No one knows ... as long as your dogs are perky and well hydrated, they should be fine, but if they are getting lethargic, have pale or dry gums, etc., a vet visit might be in order. Could they have gotten into something other than the salmon and it's juices???

Opie has had this for a week now. Poops would seem to get better, then back to pudding mush. I have tried the rice and ground beef, Imodium, Pepto bismal, and today, after he had a normal poop yesterday, he had an explosive pile in the car while we were in the store! He NEVER does this, so I know he couldn't help it. BUT, we spent the rest of the day cleaning the car out, washing all the blankets and covers that he got poop on. We even had to wash him. It was horrible.

Anyways, I called the vet, cuz figured this had gone on long enough. He now has Flagel (????) for 5 days, and back to a bland diet. Sigh, Opie has a cast iron stomach, so this is rare for him to have this for so long.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Poor guys. :( I would go back on the bland diet for a while, maybe try chicken instead of beef? Stick with it for a few days and then maybe try to add in the kibble slowly. You might also consider feeding smaller meals more frequently...or just giving them a 1/2 cup of rice or so mid-day (if you can) to help bind things up. But maybe call the vet if the bland diet doesn't get them back to normal. It could just be that their systems are still out of whack from getting all that oil.

I hope they are ok soon and back to normal....it's not fun for them or for us.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.