Need Advice Now

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

OK, I did something stupid and I need your advice. Two of my dogs have allergy skin problems and are on a 500mg cephalexin and 2 benadryl twice a day. Teddy, my grey, is on SMZ for coccidia. I was getting the meds put in cheese and gave Teddy the wrong meds. He got the cephalexin and benadryl instead of his SMZ. Is this something I have to worry about or are greys alright with benadryl? Thanks,

Guest TeddysMom

Oh thank you. What a relief. He got 2-25mg tablets so he should be fine, maybe just a little sleepy for the rest of the day. I know I will be a lot more careful from now on.

Guest TeddysMom

My heart almost stopped when I saw him swallow. His nose was just sticking up higher than the other two noses and before I knew what happened he had it in his mouth. If I had a valium I would take it. I think we all may take a nap today, it is raining and none of the pack wants to go out anyway. Thank you all for being here and answering so quickly.

Guest Energy11

Nope... no worries. They will all be fine. I sometimes find myself at 4 a.m. ready to medicate the wrong dog! That is why I make Curfew's meds the night before, and keep their separated. He is on Phenobarb, blood presure meds and thyorid meds, BUT, if one of the others accidentally got one dose, it really wouldn't hurt. So far, so good.

Guest knitkass
Well he should not itch or scratch, and maybe sleep through the afternoon.

Wait, how is this different from normal greyhound behaviour?

Seriously though, I used to give mine benadryl for S.A. all it did was chill her out a bit.

Don't feel bad, I was putting my senior boys phenobarb in a pill pocket and dropped it, my youngest guy snached it up so fast it was gone in a split second, of course I called my vet in a panic. He ended up being fine with no ill effects.