Not Sure If It's A Corn Or Not...

fourofem

Hichie, because of his crooked feet, limps a little pretty much all of the time. Over the past week or so, it looks like that limp is getting a little worse. I was checking him out a little earlier and he's got something on one of his pads...if it were on a person, I would think it was a planter's wart. Is that what a corn looks like? He doesn't like me messing with it so it must be bothersome. Can anyone give me a little insight on this? Thanks!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

One of my guys has corns on three feet. They all look a little different. I've found a good way to decide if it's a corn is if he limps on hard surfaces (pavement) but not, or not so much on soft surfaces (carpet, grass, etc). It does sound like it might be a corn.

It's probably a corn. You can have your vet hull it and it should be more comfortable after that.

What does "hulling" involve? I've seen the term many, many times but never knew what it was.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

That doesn't look too bad...any aftercare?

siggie50_1.jpg

Nope. He will walk a lot better but just know that corns grow back so you will have to have it hulled periodically. He'll let you know when it hurts again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

There isn't specific aftercare, but trying to retard/prevent regrowth is important for many pups. Different things work for different pups. Mandy gets corns on each foot. She wears Therapaws on her back feet, which are the worst, whenever we are outside. Some folks have had luck applying Abreva twice daily to slow corn regrowth. We've recently begun using Bee Propolis. The last two hullings (we have to hull about once a month), the corns have been much wider, but shallower and easier to hull. We also put Kerasolv on her feet to try and moisten the paw pads as Mandy's feet are very dry and crack easily.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Blair, call me. Or are you stopping by today for your food? If so, I can talk to you then.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)