One More On Thyroid.....my Brain Hurts

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

Freightliner recently went to the vet dermatologist for some spots which were suspicious. The vet also was concerned over his nakedness (his coat is much less in the last year than previously) and her diagnosis of Pyodema (bacterial skin infection) and Malassezia Dermatitis (yeast skin infection). She sent bloodwork to MSU and with those results, concluded he is hypothyroid. I've read that persistent yeast infections can sometimes be a clinical sign of hypothyroid. But, other than that and the hair loss, he does not exhibit any other clinical sign of hypothyroidism.

So, off I went to read everything I could find......I found this passage on OSU's site concerning thyroid results and am using as my point of reference:

However, scientific evidence suggests that Greyhounds have resting (basal) T4 and free T4 concentrations below the reference range for the dog. Gaughan and Bruyette demonstrated that the mean basal T4 concentration in Greyhounds is 13.9 nmol/L (reference range, 2.1 to 25.7 nmol/L), the mean basal free-T4 concentration is 11.3 pmol/L (reference range, 0 to 23.5 pmol/L

Results on MSU report:

TT4 -8

TT3 -1.3

FT4 -5

FT3 -2.5

TSH - 14

We have started with Soloxine at .3 twice a day for a week, increasing to .6 twice a day in a week.

Appreciate any stories or feedback on this topic.

Don't understand why your vet wants to start thyroid meds. Your dog is well within range for greyhound thyroid and TSH is normal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest freightsmom

Did MSU give an interpretation?

No, unfortunately they did not. The vet is really good on the dermatology side, I think that she's overreactng to Freight's lack of coat. He is pretty darn naked :omg