Antibiotics And Bruising?

Guest CBhound

Guest CBhound

Greetings to all. I've enjoyed reading about all of your hounds and experience. As so often happens with the Internet search, you've both soothed my concerns about my boy and prompted additional ones (though unnecessarily most of the time). A little info on my sweet boy. His name is Charlie Boy, he's a blue fawn brindle and will be celebrating his tenth birthday in October. We've had him for about 7 years now, after he retired due to a cracked quarter bone in one of his front ankles.

Charlie Boy was diagnosed with an infection of his toenails and is taking Amoxicilin twice a day. I notice a couple of days ago that the lymph nodes in his "armpit" were slight puffy (normal given the infection) and gave them a gentle mash to check them. I have checked them everyday since then and I wonder if I could have bruised him? I noticed a reddish colored area under one of his armpits in the area that I would've checked. After looking at some of the pictures posted, it does look like a bruise.

I know that antibiotics can cause easier bruising in people, but what about hounds? Greys have delicate skin to begin with, so maybe I just need to be more careful when doing my once-over? CB doesn't act any differently. No lethargy, no weird behavior, same appetite, and given the Arizona summer heat, the same typical summer activity. I assume it's just me being a little too aggressive with my examination? I'm turning into a hypochondriac about my dog....

Guest Energy11

Swollen lymph nodes do indicate infection, and, unfortunately, other things, too ... Given the toenails falling off, and now the swelling and brusing, I might see the vet JUST to be on the safe side.

Personally, and I am not a doc, nor a vet, just a retired paramedic and vet assistant, I really haven't heard much/seen people brusing a lot from the use of antibiotics, rather, from using too much aspirin or anti-inflammatories.

Good Luck with this, but just getting the vet to look at those swollen/bruised lymph nodes would put your mind at ease!

Guest CBhound

There really doesn't seem to be much swelling with the bruised area. And the toenail issue... Our vet office is greyhound-savvy and sees a lot of the adopted dogs on our general side of town. THe vet scoped his nails and didn't think it was SLO or something more serious. She did say he will probably need to on antibiotics for a while.

He's due for a refill of his prescription, so I'll talk to the vet when I call it in and see what the office says before I take him in. It's not a close trip (30-45 minutes) and it's very hot out. I try not to put him through the stress of a trip in the heat (or the stress of going to the vet in general) if I don't have to.

And it's a trip that requires my husband's assistance (and vehicle) since he refused to get out of the SUV last time and a 70 lb hound is too much for me to lift. I guess he got tired to going to the place where he gets poked with needles and thermometers...

Guest Energy11
If he is brusing, I would get blood work.

I do understand the heat issue!

The vet will help you get him out and back into the car if you ask. Most, if not all, are quite accomodating. I'd muzzle if you do that just in case.

EXCELLENT advice!