Cisco Is Still Limping

Guest Flysmom

Guest Flysmom

First off let me apologize for the ranting and whining I am about to do! :huh

I am soooooo *(&*(&((^*^&*(* frustrated with Cisco's paw pad!!

A few weeks ago I wrote that he started to slightly limp out of the blue and that I had a game plan. Well, I did....

When he first started to limp I did Epsomsalt soaks, which did not seem to help. I could not find what was wrong with his paw or his pad. I even took a Flashight to look. I only saw a small, iddy biddy cut and thougth whatever is in there will be taken care off by the soaks and the Mupirocin I put on the cut. It did not help, so off to the vet.

After a great and long exam he found a tick that was hidden in his paw and I already felt like crap because I did not find it.

He was still limping. So off to the vet a week later again! This time he looked at the little cut I mentioned. He told me he got some puss and what looked like a little thorn out of the pad. More Antibiotics and Painmeds were given. I continued with the soaks and added Ichtommal Ointment. He was still limping. The local vet recommended to wait another week and if there is not improvement he would like for us to drive to Lake Charles to another vet. (1 1/2 hrs drive one way....)

Did that on Friday. He was concerned about the possibility of a fracture, so radiographs were taken. NO fractues, no nothing visible. While Cisco was slightly sedated he also went back to the paw and found a rockhard mass where the cut was. He opened it up and cleaned the area out. Verbatum ' We got some icky schmuckes out of the pad'. He told me to soak his pad twice a day in epsom salt and to continue with the Mupirocin. No walks, just the back yard while I am with him, no running or playing and to get back with him today.

Cisco is still limping!!!!! He seemed better on Friday, even though the cut must have hurt like a bear. I started to add a few Peroxide rinses and I put Ichtommal Ointment on the pad again. The vet in Lake Charles told me when I called him to keep doing what I am doing and to get back with him on Thursday and that we might have to come back, he might have not gotten everything out.

Cisco and I are getting frustrated!! He wants to run and play and is not allowed to do so. He refuses to walk on the leash in the yard, Poncho is mad at us, because if I have Cisco without leash in the yard he needs to stay inside otherwise they will run and play. I am frustrated because we might have to drive 1 1/2 hrs. back to Lake Charles and my husband will not be to happy to see another vetbill.

I don't think that there is anything else I can do for him at home.

Thanks for letting me rant!! I know this is nothing major but when you feel like you are chasing your tail for 4 weeks now it gets to you.

:huh2 I know exactly how you feel, been there myself, I sure hope your pup is better soon, it is always hard to see them limping, one feels so helpless, especially when you know you are doing everything you know to do, and Vet bills, I feel your pain, wish I could claim them on my income tax! Please keep us posted, on him Poor Pup

Guest Energy11

You ARE doing ALL the right things, BUT, did any of these vets prescribe oral antibiotics??? If this were my grey, I'd be giving Keflex, 500 mg, two to three times a day for seven to ten days. In fact, when Staggerlee torn his nail off, he was on Keflex, 500 mg, twice a day for a week, to prevent infection.

If he is not on the antibiotics so far, I would tell the vet you want him to be on them. It could totally take care of everything. I know treating topically is a GOOD thing, but, sometimes, we need that "extra boost" from an oral antibiotic!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Guest Energy11
I started to add a few Peroxide rinses

Nix the peroxide. It will damage tissue.

Yes, did they put him on oral antibiotics? He should be on one.

Yes, "nix" on the peroxide. My former vet/employer recommended warm water washes. As Burpdog says, it does damage the tissues, and impedes the healing process.

:huh2 I know exactly how you feel, been there myself, I sure hope your pup is better soon, it is always hard to see them limping, one feels so helpless, especially when you know you are doing everything you know to do, and Vet bills, I feel your pain, wish I could claim them on my income tax! Please keep us posted, on him Poor Pup

Funny you mentioned that! When I called the IRS last week to get my balance, so I could pay it off, I actually (for a chuckle) asked the lady, if I could claim my five on next year's taxes! She laughed pretty hard! :-))

Guest Flysmom

Thank you for all the info!!

I will stop using the Peroxide. I did not know about the damage it could do.

He was on Clyndamycin 300mg for 10 days after the 2nd vet visit. I still have Doxycycline at home for him, but I will call the Lake Charles vet and ask for Keflex. I asked him on Friday if Cisco needs Antibiotics and he said no. :blink:

He seems to walk a bit better right now after he had the Ichtammol Ointment on for a few hours. I am letting the paw air and then I put it on again.

As for the IRS - at least they have some humor. I work 6 days a month and I cashed my pay check today and told the bank teller that I work to pay my dogs vet bills...

Edited after I talked to the Lake Charles vet. No, Antibiotics yet. He wants to wait until Thursday, when he wants me to call him. He told me to keep doing what I am doing...

Edited by Flysmom

Guest Flysmom
nic

call me tomorrow ............. maybe the shoulder ??

Will do. Did not want to bug you!! He ruled out the shoulder after taking the radiographs and doing an exam while the baby was under.