Thank God For Vet Wrap.............

Guest Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

i had to vet wrap Bella's ear to her head after a fight tonight. :( bella got new tennis balls from a friend to play fetch with. some how in the middle of Bella running around te house her and Winnie got into a fight. OMG :yikes :yikes :yikes i was so scared. the kids were crying and my DF and i got the girls apart. the side of bella's ear looks like it has been skinned for lack of a better word. we called our vet and he said that if we couldn't get the bleeding stopped he would come over and have a look at her. thankfully i got it stopped and she now has her ear wrapped to her head and a sock put over it to hold it all in place. its like a worse version inf happy tail. tomorrow morning she will be going to the vets to have it looked at.

Yikes! Was there skin that was peeled back, or was it outright gone?

We had a problem with an altercation between our (now angel) Chester and Drake a few years ago. Drake's ear wound up being peeled like a Banana and he wound up needing surgery to repair it.

He did look pretty darn cute with his bandaged ear vet-wrapped to his head, though!

Foxy pealed the skin on the back of her ear. No idea how either, she just came in from outside by herself that way. :dunno

At first we put the skin back down and bandaged. A couple of days later she came in from outside without the bandage and bleeding again. As it healed, the skin actually just died and pealed off. I know eeew! When it healed and the fur all grew back. 6 months later you couldn't even tell except for a small bump where the skin bumped up as it healed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Dragonmom

the skin is totally gone from what i can see. there looks to be some left but it looks rolled up and is still attached at both ends but hanging in the middle. my son is all upset and was crying and now him and bella are laying on the floor together. i wrapped the ear to her head with vetwrap and then put a sock over it all like our vet suggested. wish i had a camera, she is a white/brindle doggie with a black sock on her head and she looks like she is wearing a nun's habit.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Ears bleed like crazy. Even the tiniest nick and they bleed and bleed and then the hound shakes and bleeds some more.

Sounds like you did a good job on the wrapping.

Seems as if somewhere some time I heard about using a nylon to help hold the ear to the head but be darned if I can recall exactly what the whole procedure was.

Hope everyone is calmed down and can rest well for the night. :sleepy

Unless there is a tear in the ear that needs to be sutured, not much a vet can do, so you might be able to save yourself a vet visit.

Guest Energy11

Sorry you and the family had to go through that! I have "been there, done that," with Oakly and Goldie. She took a hunk out of his ear about two years ago! I used Quik Stop (the stuff you use for bleeding when you cut nails .. .works great), and put a huge bandaid on the ear, and basically did what you did, wrapped the ear to the head.

I would ask the vet for some Keflex antibiotic, which I'd give twice a day for a week, to prevent infection. See what he thinks, of course, when you see him today.

Good Luck!

Guest greytbookert

oh my! Our Annie's ear was degloved (skinned) earlier this year. Her's was so bad that we had to bring her to the vet to have them stop the bleeding and remove the hanging skin. We used burn bandages on the ear that was exposed, then wrapped with gauze, then used a long sleeve shirt over her head to keep the ear mobilized.

Here is her post about the injury. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...73&hl=Annie

It look a good few weeks for it to heal up and at first she had a funny crinkle in the ear but it has since straightened out and the fur has grown back.

hugs to you and the whole family!

Guest KennelMom

Ear injuries are some of the worst...they bleed and bleed and bleed...and can be hard to heal b/c their head is just so mobile. Sounds like you have a good wrap job going though.

Fights are scary, but if you own dogs long enough you are probably going to have a spat or two.

Guest Dragonmom

we are back from the vets. nothing was really done. they told me to keep an eye on it and watch for infection. they also said to keep it clean with salt water.

Aww, I hope it heals quickly.

As the others said, ear injuries are terrible bleeders. It doesn't take much either.

I would suggest epsom salts in lukewarm water for keeping it clean rather than standard table salt.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sounds like you did all the right things.. Hang in there, keep it clean and I'm sure it will heal up just fine.

What a scary experience, eh!?

Guest RICHandJUDE

I am glad things are looking up. The word 'vet wrap' caught my attention.

FYI I use a lot of vet tape on my Beagle who has front legs with extensive nerve damage.

I was buying vet tape at the grocery store or drug store. It was running me about $4 per roll.

I found out that I can get about double the amount at Tractor Supply for $2.59. (It has to be cut in half as it is double the width)

I didn't mean to change the subject but I thought maybe I could help save GT'ers some money.

Have a nice day.

Edited by RICHandJUDE

Guest Dragonmom

today it is sooo gross. its right where her ear folds. its all wet and oozey. i cant get the vet wrap to stay on her head to keep the ear flat. i was wondering if a giant bandaide would work? she has been sleeping a lot more than normal, and i figure i hurts like a bugger and thats why. my poor baby Bella.

Guest Energy11
today it is sooo gross. its right where her ear folds. its all wet and oozey. i cant get the vet wrap to stay on her head to keep the ear flat. i was wondering if a giant bandaide would work? she has been sleeping a lot more than normal, and i figure i hurts like a bugger and thats why. my poor baby Bella.

I used a giant bandaid on Oakly's ear when Goldie bit the end off. Worked great. I might be concerned about the wet and oozey part :-( Did the vet give you antibiotics for it? Oakly was on Keflex, 500 mg, for seven days.

Good Luck! maybe some stretch gauze (Kling) instead of the vet wrap? You could use the bandaid, then wrap with the Kling (you can get it a any drug store).

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

If it's not bleeding best thing to do is leave it alone and open to the air

It's going to get wet/oozey the more it stays wrapped up.

But if it's bleeding then I can understand having it wrapped.