Sadie Cut Her Paw, Then Yesterday Threw Up And Now Won't Eat

Guest Ashley

Guest Ashley

Sadie cut her paw three nights ago, which I cleaned with peroxide and wrapped up with gauze (and covered with a sock.) She seemed fine, but was still slightly bleeding the next day so we took her to the vet. Nothing could be done but wrap it again ($18 dollars just for that!!) and we got some antibiotics for her.

Yesterday was the first day of her medicine, which she ate when I covered the pills in peanut butter. She ate it with food, as we were told to do, and she was fine, though didn't use the leg much at all during short walks. Then last night, she didn't really eat much of her food, half a chicken neck and maybe half a cup of kibble. I fed her the pills again, then we both fell asleep. When I woke up a few hours later, I noticed that she had thrown up the little kibble that she did eat. I tried giving her some yogurt but she was not interested in it at all.

This morning, I made her the usual bowl of kibble mixed with plain yogurt, which she completely ignored as well. Should we just wait until tonight and try again? Or should I be boiling rice and chicken and trying to feed her that? She is already so skinny, she can't stop eating! I didn't give her any medicine this morning because she didn't eat anything, and I am super worried.

Is her stomach just upset because of the medicine maybe? What should I do to help her stay comfortable and be able to eat?

Any advice you have is really appreciated, thank you!

I'm guessing the antibiotics are making her feel sick to her stomach. Maybe some boiled chicken and rice would be something she'd want to eat. You can make up some homemade frosty paws (yogurt, peanut butter, mashed bananas, combine and freeze), and you can get some yogurt into her that way.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest Ashley

I'm at work right now and I am not sure which antibiotics they are. All I know is that they are orange -_-

I have brown rice at home, would that be okay? Or should I pick up some white rice for her?

Guest Energy11

Yes, what medications? I would at least try to get a Pepcid AC into her about 30 minutes before feeding her.. .MIGHT be the meds upsetting the stomach. I usually mix mine in plain yogert, and again, using the Pepcid AC about 30 minutes before feeding.

You can try boiled chicken, flavored yogerts, chicken brooth, ... Vanilla frozen yogert...

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

I'm at work right now and I am not sure which antibiotics they are. All I know is that they are orange -_-

I have brown rice at home, would that be okay? Or should I pick up some white rice for her?

Orange sounds like Doxicycline, BUT, depending on who the manufacturer is, pills come in ALL different colors... But, does sound like whatever they are, maybe upsetting the stomach.

Guest kydie

Yep. my bet's on medication, some just don't sit well Rice, pasta, potatos, and if in a hurry, pick up one of those all ready cooked chickens in the deli depts. at your local grocery. de-bone it Good Luck

Try the pepcid or zantac.

What I do if I think antibiotics etc. are upsetting the tummy is, give 1 regular-strength pepcid (generic is 10mg famotidine), wait 30 minutes, offer meal or large snack, give antibiotic immediately after eating.

If that doesn't work, I'd do as Burpdog suggests and ask vet for a different med. Some dogs just don't tolerate some drugs.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.