Hookworm

Guest Downtownhoundz

They live in the intestines and basically suck blood from their victim so to speak. As to whether you can see them or not, I don't know but they look like this:

WARNING, GRAPHIC PHOTO!

800px-Hookworms.JPG

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kydie
:puke I think you maybe thinking of round worms, you can see them, and if parts of a tape worm break of you can see the segments, they look like pieces of noodles

You can see them, but you might have to do some digging if you know what i mean. Mojo had a bout this Spring with them and I did some investigating (gross). It took several treatments to full get rid of them.

Guest greytful4
:puke I think you maybe thinking of round worms, you can see them, and if parts of a tape worm break of you can see the segments, they look like pieces of noodles

Oh man I was gonna have spaghetti tonight.... :puke

You might be able to see actual worms on some occasions, but the main manner in which colonization is recognized is from the presence of their ova (eggs). The worms are very good at hanging on, so there is little chance they will accidentally lose their grip and be expelled.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Energy11

Tape worms look like pieces of rice in the stool, and you can sometimes see roundworms. Hooks, I really don't think you can, with the naked eye.

Note that there's more than just one hookworm that afflicts dogs. Most common is Ancylostoma caninum; seen less frequently is Uncinaria stenocephala. A. caninum is 10-12mm in length (males), or 14-20mm in length (females):

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...ma_caninum.html

Uncinaria stenocephala is a bit smaller, maxing out at 12mm length. Both are thin and quasi-translucent, so if they DO happen to pass, they'll be tough to see. Try feeding a bit of whipped cream; the nitrous oxide knocks them out, and they lose hold. Works in humans, anyway. Doesn't guarantee they'll ALL drop off, of course, but some of them might.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)