What Age Did Your Grey Lose Hair On Backside?

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

I'm just curious about what age your grey began to lose hair in the typical greyhound balding pattern? We've had our girl almost 4 months. She came to us with a full coat, although dull. We put her on a premium kibble and fish oil gel cap supplement and her hair became shiny and beautiful. Then our temps. went up to triple digits and massive shedding commenced. She's now got a bald backside and most of her tummy. The shedding has been IMPRESSIVE! She's inside in the AC all the time unless she's out for a walk, taking a bathroom break, or riding in the car with AC. She will be 2 years old next month.

If your had your grey from a younger age, how old were they when they started going greyhound bald?

If you've only had her 4 months, the coat she came with was probably her track or farm coat. They tend to be a lot heavier. Once the hounds come into a home they will "blow" that coat, in other words lose all that excess hair. They don't need it to keep them warm any more. It typically doesn't matter the age of the dog, most will blow their coats upon being placed in a home. There are some who keep their original coat but most don't.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups
I'm just curious about what age your grey began to lose hair in the typical greyhound balding pattern? We've had our girl almost 4 months. She came to us with a full coat, although dull. We put her on a premium kibble and fish oil gel cap supplement and her hair became shiny and beautiful. Then our temps. went up to triple digits and massive shedding commenced. She's now got a bald backside and most of her tummy. The shedding has been IMPRESSIVE! She's inside in the AC all the time unless she's out for a walk, taking a bathroom break, or riding in the car with AC. She will be 2 years old next month.

If your had your grey from a younger age, how old were they when they started going greyhound bald?

None of mine have a Shiney Hiney, DonnieDude came with one, he is 4, but now he has a nice FuzzButt:

DSC01642-1.jpg

a Gratuitous shot of his handsome face:

DonnieDudeface.jpg

my black/mahogany colored track dog came w/o hair on her butt, she has feathering and looks fine. my pup,red fawn, who never was on the track has never had a good amount of hair on the tush, as a matter of fact it is bald symetrically in a pattern. shame i can't get pics up to show it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest suzye

Something is going on with Popo -- I was about to post about it. He had more butt hair when I got him 9 months ago but now it's thinning. Like yours, Popo is not out in the heat much. Is it seasonal? Is it age? Is it medical (don't think so)?

I didn't have him at a younger age, though. He was about to turn 7 when I got him and he'll be 8 in 3 months.