Cosmo Seems To Be Experiencing Phantom Pain

The last couple of days Cosmo has been doing something quite odd. She'll be laying down or sometimes she's just standing there. At any rate, when these episodes happen she is not doing anything at all. She's either just lying or standing still, completely calm and fine. Then all of a sudden she'll yelp and go flying across the room. After a minute she'll lie down again and be fine. Until the next time she yelps and goes bolting across the room.

I posted on Circle of Grey and the consensus is phantom pain. I was told by someone that I had exactly described what her dog did and it was phantom pain. All other responses concurred. I've done a little reading online and it turns out they can indeed have phantom pain. I guess I just thought that phantom pain was something unique to humans but it turns out it's not.

I've got a call in to the vet but I was just wondering if anyone else here has gone through phantom pain with their pup? If so, how did it manifest, how long did it last or did it ever stop and how did you manage it? Thanks!

EDIT:

Oh for crying out loud. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but there is a staple under Cosmo's skin. Plain as day there is a staple there. I've left messages for the surgeon, the attending vet and my regular vet but in the meantime is there any reason why there should be permanent metal in my dog? It feels like it's going to poke right through her skin.

I will refrain from adding the p.o.'ed emoticon to my post until I know for sure this is a mistake. Thanks.

Edited again. I think I've seen enough responses to add the p.o.'ed face. I'm fit to be tied!

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Energy11

I know nothing about that in dogs, but we humans experience it.

I'd shoot a quick email to OSU. I am sure they'd know!

couto.1@osu.edu OR

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

Good Luck!

couto.1@osu.edu OR

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

Good Luck!

I haven't had any luck with getting OSU to answer my emails, but if Dr. Vilar returns my call I'll ask him. We've been playing phone tag since Monday.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Guest Energy11

couto.1@osu.edu OR

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

Good Luck!

I haven't had any luck with getting OSU to answer my emails, but if Dr. Vilar returns my call I'll ask him. We've been playing phone tag since Monday.

I think Dr. Vilar is the only one answering emails right now. I send Curfew's recent Free T4s in, and that is who answered. Guess they are overwhelmed. Good Luck!

I have no experience of amputations so don't know about phantom pain but I just wanted to say that nerve pain, such as sciatica, could cause that kind of reaction. I suffered from sciatica for a while and the searing pain would always come when I was doing "nothing" and certainly used to make me jump. Is it possible that, with all she's been through, she might have put her back out and/or that there's pressure on a nerve somewhere? Could you get her checked over by a chiropractor maybe?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest RynnAndLyra

Tracey - Sterling has had several episodes that are similar to what you describe Cosmo has done. But - he has not had any in the past two weeks. So maybe just a phase of recovery?

Update post one..... :huh

Guest Tuxsmom

you have got to be kidding :blink:

agh !!!!!!

of all the things. well, I hope that is the cause because that can be fixed. I would hate to think of poor Cosmo having to deal with phantom pain on top of everything else :grouphug

Guest GreenGreys

It seems odd to say that I hope it is a staple. Ranger had his staples removed today (finally) and one of them had worked its way sideways so maybe she just has a stowaway!

Hope her pains end soon, in any event.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan had something similar and we assumed it was phantom pains. Neurotin (Gabapentin) is suppose to be good for nerve pain so we put him on that. That was 3.5 years ago so I don't remember how long we had him on it.