Is There A Difference In Health ?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Is the gene pool small in the greys as well?

I'm pretty sure Martin Roper has answered this with a no. I don't really understand this stuff too well, but the gist that I took away was that although there may be a few really popular sires, the dams used as so varied that the answer is no. I'll try to find his post about it or maybe he'll 'xplain it all over again for us. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
how much lobbying power do we or the public have to pursuade the breeders to take this into consideration IF lines are identified. I know there are many ethical breeders out there... I hope they can push on their peers to follow suit if we ever have the power of this knowledge.

NOT intending to start trouble. Just sayin.... :unsure:

Honestly if it's something along the lines of

My dog that you bred has seizures and so does 3 of his/her littermates, you will have people listen.

If you are contacting breeders and saying, hey my greyhound died of bone cancer at the age of 10

well then no one is going to listen.

There are things in breeding that us breeders know. Such as Molotov, known as fast while they last. But it hasn't stopped us from breeding Molotov females or males. What you do with that is try to breed in durability and better the breeding instead of running away from it totally. If that makes sense.

What it comes down to is if it's something likely to effect a greyhound during it's racing years then breeders will listen. IF it's something that is going to effect that greyhound after it retires at the age 9 or so, then more then likely we won't listen.

Just being honest, not trying to come off harsh

An example, Saint has seizures, out of his litter none of the other pups suffer from seizures. His sire sired 6 pups, Saints litter. His dam had 33 pups. If you could establish that out of 33 pups a significant number of her pups suffer from seizures, you'd have something there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Re breeding: Isn't clear yet that osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, etc. are genetic. If they do turn out to be genetically linked, not terribly likely that it will be a matter of a single gene -- more likely to be a complex interaction of several genes, which can make it very difficult to determine the healthiest breeding strategies.

Cancer of all sorts is a tough, ugly problem. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Elaine
But it isn't unheard of in AKC greyhounds. There are a couple of examples right here in this thread.

I think you're going to hear about it more in NGA greys since their numbers are so much higher than the AKC greys.

I think you are going to hear more about it because pet owners are more apt to discuss their dogs' problems amongst their peers than are many breeders.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

http://www.dmgreyhounds.net

Guest Elaine
How closely bred are they then? Like I brought up in an earlier post, Abyssinian cats have a relatively small gene pool with a high incidence of amloiydosis and patella luxation, so it's difficult to find really healthy bloodlines. Is the gene pool small in the greys as well?

The racing greyhound gene pool is not as small as the AKC greyhound gene pool. In AKC lines, pretty much all the dogs go back to a couple of sires, i.e., Treetops Hawk, unless their breeder has outcrossed to NGA lines, i.e., Point Breeze Distinctive, and other Point Breeze dogs, among others. Some of these dogs are in the Greyhound-Data database. Back in 2001 or so, there was a controversy surrounding attempts to close the AKC studbook to dogs from the NGA studbook. During this time, research was done on coefficients of inbreeding in AKC lines. For more information on this, please visit this site: http://www.raingoddess.com/akc/coi.html. It explains a bit about coefficients of inbreeding.

Something for y'all to consider is that all greyhounds, regardless of registry, all of them descend from the same dogs, way back when. All of them will have Greentick, Sir Sankey, and the other breed foundation dogs in their pedigrees.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

http://www.dmgreyhounds.net