Need Quick Feedback Before Going To Vet Tonight..

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest TurnerMiller01
YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!! Just KNEW she'd pee :-)))))

Glad she is getting the Keflex, and has a GREYT momma! :D:D

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... thank you :grouphug

Glad you got the pee :D Hopefully she willl be better soon!

yes.. got the pee... next time remind me to take something a little flatter... i almost didnt get it under.... :gmark

Guest GentleHugs

Using a big soup ladle with a long handle works, too, for catching pee from a female. The long handle also helps on keeping your hands free of getting pee'd on, too. I have a ladle that is stainless steel and from a commercial restaurant kitchen.

I've got a big girl who almost touches the ground when she goes. Another half an inch and her butt is on the ground. She's always done that and luckily has had no UTI's either. My other girl is tiny and walks when she pee's. Of course, her left hip was broke a few years ago so we assumed she did that because she couldn't squat well. Nope - that wasn't it. She sits fantastic but she insists on walking when she pee's or poops. I had to follow her around with a ladle to get a sample for the vet when we were trying to figure out why she had to go often. No UTI but she's got permanent nerve damage done to her kidneys and bladder area from when her hip got broke. Gently squeeze her around her waist area and out squirts pee - even if she just went. Found that out during her exam at the vets.

Glad you got a sample and glad she is on meds now to clear up the infection. She did good - give her another cookie.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Glad to hear Lilly is now on some meds.

I am sure she will be fine!

Just an FYI, I use a shallow pie tin (the aluminum disposable type-- approx 9" in diameter, and then pour what I have retrieved into a ziplock.

Seems to work for us, and you don't have to be the best "catcher"-- enough room for error.

Sending hugs to you all!

Guest Greensleeves

We have this done all the time, as "first catch" here is around 5 am, and the vet doesn't open for another 4 hours, and NOBODY pees outside their own yard (I can't explain that. :rolleyes:).

Sometimes, the vet actually needs the sample straight from the bladder, in order to check (for instance) that an infection is in the bladder and not the urinary tract. Lots of other factors can contaminate the sample as it's leaving the body, so this is a necessary alternative. I would always check before you come in, because if you catch the urine yourself and they need a clean sample, they'll send you home until they fill up again!

That medication should start to work quickly to make her more comfortable. Hope Lilly is feeling better soon!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest TurnerMiller01

************UPDATE******************

Okay.. so She has been on the antibiotics now since Thursday and we have seen no improvement in her urinating... :(

She seems to drink an awful lot too.. more than Figgy..

could this be something more kidney related... kidney function???

awwww... i hope she is okay....my heart is breaking right now for her..

She has an accident in the house every day...

And.. literally we are out the door in our house every hour... out the back.. to the yard... and the dogs go out every hour.. sometimes... more than that...

Can anyone think of anything that might be going on?? :unsure

Any suggestions?

What am I not seeing here?

Guest Energy11

Yes, could be kidneys, or a few other things. BEST thing to do is have a full panel drawn, which shows a lot of different things. Based on that they find, if anything, more testing could be ordered. If it IS kidneys, there are a lot of renal (kidney) diets out there that work great! Goldie had a HORRIBLE kidney infection in 2004, which caused some kidney damage :-( But, she has been on kidney food since, and her blood numbers are perfect.

Yes, you are pretty much right, the antibiotics should be working by now. Good luck, and keep us posted.

************UPDATE******************

Okay.. so She has been on the antibiotics now since Thursday and we have seen no improvement in her urinating... :(

She seems to drink an awful lot too.. more than Figgy..

could this be something more kidney related... kidney function???

awwww... i hope she is okay....my heart is breaking right now for her..

She has an accident in the house every day...

And.. literally we are out the door in our house every hour... out the back.. to the yard... and the dogs go out every hour.. sometimes... more than that...

Can anyone think of anything that might be going on?? :unsure

Any suggestions?

What am I not seeing here?

They did a urine culture on her right? If so, when do they expect that back?

1. If they didn't culture the urine, could be wrong antibiotic.

2. Antibiotics are hard on the tummy. If she isn't getting some Pepcid or similar, she could be drinking more to ease her tummy and thus peeing more just because of that. Why more vets don't warn people about this, I do not know.

Either way, I'd put a call in to your vet. I'd start with #1. Keflex/cephalexin is often used as the first UTI drug when no culture has been done because it's cheap and usually well tolerated, and it does handle many garden-variety infections. Vet may want to prescribe something like 10 days of Baytril ($$$ - be prepared!) at this point.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01
1. If they didn't culture the urine, could be wrong antibiotic.

2. Antibiotics are hard on the tummy. If she isn't getting some Pepcid or similar, she could be drinking more to ease her tummy and thus peeing more just because of that. Why more vets don't warn people about this, I do not know.

Either way, I'd put a call in to your vet. I'd start with #1. Keflex/cephalexin is often used as the first UTI drug when no culture has been done because it's cheap and usually well tolerated, and it does handle many garden-variety infections. Vet may want to prescribe something like 10 days of Baytril ($$$ - be prepared!) at this point.

Ok.. so if we should give her some pepcid... how much does she need?

She is only 58 lbs.... ???

Let's start with Pepcid.. and finish this course of antibiotics and see how she does...

Does that sound like a good start? :huh

I'd call the vet, he might be able to change her ATB's to something that will work better. Sounds like this isn't the right ATB to me. Keflex is a great broad spectrum ATB, but it's not always the right one. I've given Keflex to my dogs with terrible sensitive tummys it didn't seem to bother them.

But to be extra safe, I'd call your vet if I were you.

Good luck and big hugs to Lilly!!

Guest TurnerMiller01
I'd call the vet, he might be able to change her ATB's to something that will work better. Sounds like this isn't the right ATB to me. Keflex is a great broad spectrum ATB, but it's not always the right one. I've given Keflex to my dogs with terrible sensitive tummys it didn't seem to bother them.

But to be extra safe, I'd call your vet if I were you.

Good luck and big hugs to Lilly!!

Ok.. sounds like good advice to me...

maybe its just not the right antibx...

thank you and yes.. lots of lots of hugs and kisses to Lilly... She is an angel!! :kiss2:heart:paw:gh_run2

Guest Energy11

I just remembered, we had to do that (change the antibiotics) with Oakly. He was on Amoxicillin, which seemed to help, but, didn't clear the symptoms. They ended up putting him on Cipro, and that was that. Good Luck! Maybe you can avoid bloodwork for now :-))