Treating Corns

Guest mtnbluebird

Yes, what's the dosage info for the propolis? I tried using it topically on Wabi's corn, and I think it may have helped, but I didn't have a good way of keeping it ON. How do you keep Propolis or Bag Balm on, for that matter?

Wabi has therapaws, indoor and outdoor styles (though the indoor ones are a pain, since they twist and flop around on her skinny little foot). They make it possible for her to walk with the rest of the gang at all, even between corn growth (she has a knuckled under foot, as well).

I have hulled Wabi's just with my fingernails, usually after it's been damp for a bit (walking in wet grass, or in a damp boot). The last time, she'd been MISERABLE for weeks by the time I could get it. When I pulled it out, it bled! :blink: First time for that! But, a few days later, she perked up so much it's like she's a new pup all over again!

According to some of the posts in the Yahoo Corn Hounds group, the propolis needs to be over 65% to be effective, the higher percentage, the better. The topical is very sticky and the best way to keep it on is to put small square band-aids on top -- by the time the band-aids come off, the stuff should have absorbed. I have not tried the propolis, but just got some to try on Mandy. I also have toddler socks to put over her feet, which I do anyway when I put the Kerasolv.

I found the Propolis at Wegman's, but I don't think they have any of them out your way. I also found it at Vitamin Shoppe -- 80%!: Propolis

Edited by MandysMom

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Thanks for the link. Hm. Sounds like orally worked quicker than topically (6 weeks vs. a year). Her corn is almost invisible now, but maybe I can make it disappear for good with a few drops of propolis in her kibble! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

We have Cougar's corns hulled about every 3-4 weeks. We have been able to get one to disappear after applying Abreeva several times a day. We're still working on the other one, but it doesn't go as deep anymore and is easier for them to hull and we don't have to go quite so often.

• 2 months later...
We had Andy's corns hulled at our vet's. It gave him quite a while of pain free walking. Unfortunately corns have a tendency to regrow and you will probably have to have them rehulled again. It's an easy procedure done right there in the vet's office.

How much do you pay the vet to hull corns out? Mine has 1 on L front paw and 1 on L back paw.

Do they need pain killers afterwards?

Does it require special wound care afterwards?

Thanks

A friend that I met when we both fostered Greys, has a senior that has/had several corns. Since she is into health foods, etc., she started spraying the corns with Colloidal Silver. The corns eventually peeled off and even took the root, leaving an indentation where they were.

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678