Blackheads On Dog Fresh From The Track

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

Hi guys -

DH and I will be bringing home our first grey, DeeDee, tomorrow. The foster mom pointed out today that, like many dogs fresh off the track, Dee has some blackheads on her belly where the fur is kind of thin or rubbed off. She said some people put a washcloth soaked in warm water over the area, and then use tweezers to pull out the clogs. I'm a little unclear as to whether this is an important thing to do or if the blackheads will clear up on their own. If I do need to do this for Dee, how long should I hold the warm washcloth there? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

-Brooke

I don't think that you "have" to do anything with them. It is a personal preference. :dunno

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest RocketDog

Neither of mine had many of them when they first came home, so I just left them alone. By the time they blew their coat a few months later they were mostly cleared up without my having to do anything.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

you dont have to remove them if you dont want to.... if she lets you and you want to do it. I remove them from Vegas cause he gets so many of them ( he has yucky skin sometimes)

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks! They don't bother me if they don't bother her. I can wait for it to clear up on its own so long as it doesn't bug her. I appreciate the advice! :)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank gets a few on his belly now and then. I give them a wipe with a Stridex pad and they go away after doing this for a few days. They are just a "cosmetic" problem. It is a good idea, though, to check your new grey out allover, and make note of any bumps or lumps they may have, so that you have a baseline for comparison if anything changes or starts to look "suspicious"...

Guest UESBrindle

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...764&hl=acne

I posted about the same thing when we brought William home. (link above)

We did a warm compress, and then with our fingers, tried to extract just a few a day (he had a lot) and then wiped down the area with bactine afterwards to make sure that the area we were picking at didn't get infected.

He still has a few, and I'll get them from time to time, but his belly looks a lot better now.

I remember the other threads about this! Many people actually like squeezing them out - therapeutic and bonding!!

Anyway, we squeezed them out bit by bit over a month or two but they also clean up on their own. Both our boys had patches 1/2 the size of a dollar bill or so and within 5 months, was completely cleared up. Great skin now.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest KennelMom

Stella is our only pup that gets a black head patch. She had it coming off the track and even once I clear it up, they come back. I guess just like people, some dogs are more prone to cloggged pores than others.

I use a warm washcloth and gently squeeze (no tweezers!!!!!! OUCH!)...they clear up in a few sessions and she's good to go for a few months.