Pancreatic Insuffiiciency Confirmed In Findem

Guest vikmb2

Guest vikmb2

Well, finally the Vet confirmed Findem Gargoyle's diagnosis of Pancreatic Insufficiency. I forget what he called it, but the enzyme made by the pancreas to break down food was low - 4.6, which wasn't terribly low, he said, but enough to cause the problems.

I'd really welcome any food/treatment suggestions from anyone - I told him I'd post here and he was glad! :unsure

As long as you give him enzymes, he should do well. As I mentioned, Panakare from Omaha Vaccine is much less expensive and works just as well as Viokase.

Can you get BilJac frozen where you are? (where are you?) BilJac kibble is also highly digestible.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest vikmb2

He suggested enzyme addition to his food, but I told him I'd heard of a few options other than the very expensive sort. We're in the Charlottesville, VA area.

As long as you give him enzymes, he should do well. As I mentioned, Panakare from Omaha Vaccine is much less expensive and works just as well as Viokase.

Can you get BilJac frozen where you are? (where are you?) BilJac kibble is also highly digestible.

He suggested enzyme addition to his food, but I told him I'd heard of a few options other than the very expensive sort. We're in the Charlottesville, VA area.

Panakare is far less expensive than Viokase and my Dalmatian used it for several years, but they changed the carrier product (it was grainier than the earlier product, which was very powdery) and she had a tough time with it after that. The company that makes Panakare, Neogen Pets, actually had their chief chemist talk and work with me to try and resolve the issue -- I was very impressed. I tell you this because sometimes one product works better even if the active ingredients are identical. Unfortunately, Meg only did well on Viokase after the Panakare change. I know there are a couple of other brands out there, but Panakare was always the least expensive and Viokase the most expensive.

Omaha Vaccine was the cheapest by far (and great to deal with).

The powder worked MUCH better for Meg than the tablets. Room temperature water does need to be added to the food and powder.

Meg was on Purina Canine EN prescription food and had a restricted selection of treats. I know many people have had success with BilJac and Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon.

The Yahoo Group is a great resource, as is http://www.epi4dogs.com/

It is a manageable condition, but it was a challenge to keep the weight on Meg and because she was always hungry, keeping everything out of her mouth (trash, poop, frogs, mice, you name it).

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.