Eating Grass And Upset Tummies

We were at a friend's house yesterday. Elsie was eating her grass which is different from ours and she doesn't normally eat grass anyway.

Last night at dinner she was "off" and didn't do as well as she normally does (frozen raw) but I did get a cup of kibble into her at 10pm which I normally do.

This morning she has had NOTHING and I have offered her 3 different things. We gaver her a pedcid about an hour ago. She is even refusing cookies.

She is laying around like a greyhound which she never does. She is always busy, investagating etc.

I am not panicing yet. But I am wondering if eating the grass yesterday could have upset her tummy for today. Her poops looked good.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Might be the grass, weeds, etc. could have upset her stomach :-( :puke

WAS the grass TREATED with any type of weed killer or insectacide????

I would see if you can get a Pepcid AC, 20 mg. into her, and maybe some plain yogert, and go from there.

The fact she isn't panting, pacing, etc., is a good sign, but if it IS a stomach ache, then, she'd be "off" like you said. Is she vomiting at all?

Gotta tell her, just because her name is Elsie, she is NOT a cow :-)

Good Luck and keep us posted! Dee M.

No, the grass was not treated in any way. We gave her a pepcid an hour and half ago. No vomit, no nothing, just acting like a GH which she normally does not!

She just ate 6 (they are small) of Beau's z/d cookies. She doesn't want milkbones etc. She is definitely off.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Energy11
No, the grass was not treated in any way. We gave her a pepcid an hour and half ago. No vomit, no nothing, just acting like a GH which she normally does not!

She just ate 6 (they are small) of Beau's z/d cookies. She doesn't want milkbones etc. She is definitely off.

I'd give the Pepcid time to work, and maybe not worry about getting much food into her for now. The PLAIN yogert always helps mine. Just watch her, but if you don't see any improvement ... might want to see the vet. Yeah, I KNOW ... holiday weekend! :-( Always happens like that. When I worked ER as a paramedic, holiday weekends were THE worst.

Good luck with this Robin! Hugs to you and to Elsie! Dee M.

When my dogs have bad stomachs, or the grinds we give Pepto Bismol. The vet told us this is better. My whippets get 2 tablets ( not chewables ) 3 times a day is they are not well. sometimes if it is a mild case, one dose is enough. Being a greyhound , the dose can be 2 or 3 tablets.

Guest Energy11
When my dogs have bad stomachs, or the grinds we give Pepto Bismol. The vet told us this is better. My whippets get 2 tablets ( not chewables ) 3 times a day is they are not well. sometimes if it is a mild case, one dose is enough. Being a greyhound , the dose can be 2 or 3 tablets.

Good idea! Couldn't hurt. Poor little tummies "(((

Once again vets differ in what they prefer. We had give one of the hounds pepto a few years back and she said, don't give that, give the pepcid.

Who knows!? We already gave the pecid. We are not forcing the issue. Hopefully she will eat later. Unfortuately of all days for this to happen we have to go to my sister's 60th birthday dinner 1.5 hours away. We will be feeding them all earlier - if she still doesn't eat - we will try when we get home - about 8 pm.

Guest Energy11

Once again vets differ in what they prefer. We had give one of the hounds pepto a few years back and she said, don't give that, give the pepcid.

Who knows!? We already gave the pecid. We are not forcing the issue. Hopefully she will eat later. Unfortuately of all days for this to happen we have to go to my sister's 60th birthday dinner 1.5 hours away. We will be feeding them all earlier - if she still doesn't eat - we will try when we get home - about 8 pm.

Maybe that is all Elsie needs ... just a day of rest, and a fairly empty tummy. Keep us posted, and have a SAFE trip! D

Guest SoulsMom

Well . . . You know Soul and his tummy issues. He likes to eat grass when he's not feeling well and off his food, but it just seems to make his 'condition' worse, so I don't let him do it. Before his GI bleeding began I'd let him graze a bit if he wanted to, but not anymore! Last time he went for the grass I gave him some bread and that seemed to help.