Riley Throwing Up Small Amounts Of Bile, Appetite Is Less

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Riley has thrown up small amounts of bile about 3 times over the last couple days. Normally I'd blow it off, but with him having cancer I just wanted to double check if I should worry about it or not. Also, he is only eating half his meals. He recently got his pain meds doubled, (Tramadol) and went on Prednisone. Is this a side effect of one of those drugs? He is also on Pepcid AC, Benadryl, fish oil, vitamin E, but he has been taking those for a while now.

Most likely the Pred would cause stomach upset, vs. the tramadol. Maybe get a prescription for Sulcrafate to coat his stomach prior to medicating? It's stronger than Pepcid. Sending more prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest EmilyAnne

He started Prednisone on Monday, and is taking it twice daily until this Monday, when we drop the dose down to once a day. I will call the vet and see if I should either go ahead and drop the dose a couple days early, or try the Sulfracate. I have Metaclopramide on hand which I was given when he went through chemo in case of nausea. I will call the vet and run all this by her.

Guest EmilyAnne

OK, vet says drop the Pred dose to once a day now instead of waiting till Monday, and if he does not feel better by tomorrow, then call her for a script for Sulcrafate.

Guest ss556

Do you think it would be a good idea to stop the fish oil and Vit E for a few days as well? Hope he's feeling better soon.

Guest EmilyAnne
Do you think it would be a good idea to stop the fish oil and Vit E for a few days as well? Hope he's feeling better soon.

It never occured to me fish oil and vitamin E could cause stomach upset,

does anyone here know anything about that? Off to go research...

Guest Energy11

Curfew is on Pred. 20 mg. a day. NO stomach upset or problems, and he does take it with 20 mg/Pepcid AC.

I know from PERSONAL experience, fish oil does a number on my stomach! I'd stop it, for now, and see what happens. Good Luck with this! D

Guest EmilyAnne

This was Riley's medicine regimen before todays's med adjustment:

2-25 mg Bendryl, twice a day

2-10 mg Pepcid AC, twice a day

1-20 mg Prednsidone, twice a day for first 7 days, then will drop to once a day.

1 fish oil capsule, twice a day

1 vitamin E, twice a day

50 mg Tramadol, 1-2 pills 3 times a day.

Pred has been reduced to only once a day, and no more fish oil and vitamin E till he feels better, and then that too will be dropped down to only once a day.

I finally go him to eat his breakfast this afternoon, after adding in some cheese. I already have been adding gravy. He ate all of his supper! And, the really good news, Riley had been having to wear a long sleeve t shirt in order to keep him from licking the problem tumor. Being a very long haired dog, and the weather warming up, and having to wear the belly band, it will be a welcome relief if he doesnt need the shirt anymore! The tumor is definately looking better and better, thanks to the Pred. I wonder if I might be able to lower the Tramadol with the tumor looking better??

One day at a time... :)

Guest ss556

Whenever Alan had a upset tummy, I stopped the supplements like fish oil & vitamins etc. I know they bother me too. Hope Riley does well.

Guest EmilyAnne

Brain fart on post #9, I meant to explain, good news- Riley may not need the t shirt anymore as he has not been wearing it all evening and has been dong fine.

Shouldnt drink and post! :lol